Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Default

Thanks for the good intel all.

2. Default

Another question: During my research I am reading alot about the passes crossing in WA. Can someone break it down for me and at what point should I make my decision if I need to drop south or try to get through the pass. Thanks

Default North or south -- you still have to cross through passes

The reality is that you are going to have to go over some passes somewhere -- doesn't really matter which east---> west route you use -- You have to go over the mountains.

But to make it easier for us to respond to your question -- which Highway are you planning to use as your primary route west?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by VJUSMC View Post
    Another question: During my research I am reading alot about the passes crossing in WA. Can someone break it down for me and at what point should I make my decision if I need to drop south or try to get through the pass. Thanks
    The way this question makes sense is if you're trying to decide between Snoqualmie Pass vs heading southwest thru the Columbia Gorge to Portland, OR where you'd be driving 2 sides of the triangle in hopes of lower elevations.

WADOT works really hard to keep Snoqualmie clear. If it's closed the gorge route wouldn't be real nice either and then you'd have to bash your way up I-5 in heavy rain/wet snow. More time on the road, more exposure to risk but less elevation. Also the gorge can be really, really windy and if it's freezing there it would be dicey.

For me there's no decision. Hole up in Ellensburg and rest while waiting for the pass to open.

Besides, you'd have to make your decision at Ritzville which is quite a long way from Snoqualmie and the pass closure could change fairly quickly.

5. Default

good morning wanted to keep this thread alive with some updates. We have the majority of our route planned with realistic stops, but we will do another draft when it gets closer to factor in weather. We are less than a month out now, and getting prepped. The tires for the Tiguan will be in today. We went with Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06. Also ordered some chains(just in case) and de-icer for the windshield. I have been monitoring DOT sites to get used to checking for intel, and checking out any webcams that may be available. Other than that just ready to ROLL!!

For practice see what you can learn about conditions from Denver north to say Casper.
    We just had a surprisingly large snowfall onto warm ground creating an ice layer under the snow. It was about as slick a drive to work (50 miles at 35 mph or less!) as I've ever seen it. Schools are cancelled in many districts and crashes are piling up on the interstate.

Do your websites show this? Today would be a good day to not be driving thru this area. It takes a long time to get very far at 35 mph with high driver effort the whole time.

Link to conditions on Snoqualmie pass

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

We have this in the wife's electronic intel collection kit so we'll check as we hit Spokane and further west if connection is available.

Traction tires in Washington means M+S or snowflake marking on sidewall with 1/8" tread depth.
    4WD doesn't require chains if all 4 tires are traction tires but chains must be carried anyway(?????) Passenger cars might have to chain up.

My folks tell me there have been problems on Snoq this year as it's been pretty wet vs past years.

The route thru the Columbia Gorge is about 250 miles farther than going over the pass if you break off at Ritzville. If you go further west before diverting it would be even more mileage.

8. Default

Thanks for the info. I have been tracking Snoqualmie pass, and I know it was closed the other day for a bit. That is one we will monitor our entire trip. Thanks again have a great week and Merry Christmas.

Snoq has been getting a lot of snow lately so they close the route for avalanche control (blasting). Saw it on Tuesday and today, Christmas Eve, it's closed all day and possibly into the night. Big mess.
    Not sure what I'll do when it's time to depart here (Seattle) if that's the case. Probably go down I-5 to take the gorge route and return via I-84 and I-80 (non-preferred route).

10. Default

@noFanofCB, yes I have been monitoring all the DOT sites just to get in the habit. I see SNOQ has been the one that has the most closures/issues. I will monitor it closely, and possible have to take that same route getting to Seattle come mid Jan. Obviously will have to make that call on the fly. We are as prepared as we can be for now. Now we are focusing on the getting the house all ready for the movers.