Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Default Even if you don't have time to go there....

If it's any consolation, I have always felt that Mt Rushmore is far better seen from a distance, than close up. Though the displays they have there are very interesting, especially that which shows how so much of it was done.

You can see it from a couple of roads in the area.

Lifey

I know this thread died sometime ago, but I couldn't help but wonder how TerryTreks made out on his 82 day camping adventure! I looked for possible followup posts, but didn't find anything.

Terry - if you're out there, please post a short review of your adventure!

Default Good luck.

Since the OP has not been back to this site since his/her last post, don't hold your breath.

Lifey

4. Default

hey there!
    I'm going to visit my family close to Miami and thought about going to the Everglades when I'm already there, maybe Key West too! How is it in late October, should I book an accommodation in the NP way ahead or is this time of the year a good time to just go there an get a place to stay?

5. Default

when you know the exact dates I would totally recommend to book a place to stay in advance! It's horrible when you get somewhere and don't have a place to stay!
    It depends a little bit on how much time you have to travel around. If you arrive at the park and then you have to look for accommodation the whole day you lose a lot of quality time in the park!
    The Everglades are beautiful, in October there can still be some small hurricanes as September is hurricane time.. but you definitely should check them out!
    Where in Miami are you staying? I'm from Fort Lauderdale and just curious!

6. Default

Thank you very much for your answer! Yes I don't really know the exact dates now but I think I should figure them out anyways and okay.. maybe I try to go there late October to have better weather as I also want to go hiking etc! My aunt is living in a condo in Pompano Beach. This is just a little bit North of Fort Lauderdale!
    I've been there once when I helped her move but this is already some time ago!
    Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-19-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: New Members may not post off-site links

7. Default

oh I know Pompano Beach! I love the market there!
    you're welcome and have a nice trip!

8. Default

Two of my favorite western NPs are absent:Rocky Mtn NP in Colorado and Glacier NP in Montana! (It's actually Waterton-Glacier International Peace 'Park- with a large part in Canada). Both are magnificent, and especially stunning in the fall! We'll be in Yellowstone and Grand Teton 9/16-21 for the second time this year. Then Rocky Mtn NP 9/22& 23 We go almost every year in June and Sept! Some of your destinations have become really popular in the fall- especially during the elk rut, which will be most likely in full steam in Yellowstone and Teton while you are there! We have never camped but this will be our 31st trip to those places! We stay in small towns outside the park, like Jackson Hole (very expensive), W. Yellowstone, etc. I made reservations for this 3 week trip back in the spring and many places were booked already!

Hi, Sandiga, and welcome to RTA! You expressed some very valid things about the need to reserve in advance. If you are planning to travel, and have questions, please feel free to start your own thread. The one you responded to is over 5 years old now.

I will tell you, though, that the Waterton Lakes National Park is small in comparison to the US side, Glacier National Park. Waterton is easily seen in a day or so (unless you plan to take the boat trip or do some hiking). Not so with Glacier, especially needing tickets this year to drive the main drag, Going to the Sun Highway. I also agree that Jackson WY is super expensive in the height of either the summer or the ski season -- when you see that Motel 6 has rates over $230/night, you know it's high! We found accommodations in West Yellowstone, but after leaving Grand Teton, we drove around to the "backside" of the Tetons to stay.

Donna