Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Maybe.....

Reading back over the responses it came to mind.... maybe Quincy was the county. I have been caught out many a time mistaking cities and counties. So hard to get used to the way people use these terms. Could it have been county police?

Lifey

Default Is someone getting their days or places mixed up ?

I've been on the case [;-)] and this is the only thing I can come up with.

Wish I could find a town of Quincy in either AL or TN
    The outstanding experience on day three was a procession of cars I encounted in Quincy.
    On the last day it was 231 to US90, and that to Tallahassee
    The only town [no county] I can find named Quincy along your route is right on US90 in Florida to Tallahassee. I can't find anything linking it to the Motorcade though and it's only because I have had days and thoughts get confused myself that I ask. [Not questioning your sanity lol ]

Dave

Default Solved!

Thanks Dave. Thanks for taking the trouble. I would never have thought to check FL, but of course, I should have known, it was the only time I was off freeways. Somehow I just lose track of the days when I am on the road. I should have written it down while I was waiting with the other vehicles. (I thought you had other matters occupying your mind right now.)

No problem questioning sanity.... I do myself, sometimes. :-p

Lifey

Default You're welcome.

(I thought you had other matters occupying your mind right now
    Indeed. Sometimes it's good to have a little distraction though. [It took all of about 10mins] lol

Dave.

Default North Carolina to Maine - improvements please.

Once again I am looking for a relatively efficient route, trying to avoid the urban centres and tolls, and taking in as many of the two and three digit US highways. Would like to stay within a shot of the interstates to find a truck stop now and then.

Starting in Henderson NC ending north of Portland ME.

I have studied my maps, but other than the many routes through PA and I-88 through some of NY, I am really lost at either end. Haven't thought of a timeframe, suffice to say that by 6th June I have to be in St Paul.

That other leg, ME to MN is basically already worked out, other than heading from ME to southwest NY, or maybe northwest PA.

So please, those of you who have a wider knowledge of this area, please design me an efficient - hopefully scenic - route. By efficient I mean not too many unnecessary miles. (I am low on funds, but shhush! don't tell anyone.)

Lifey

Default Looking for US-2 from coast to coast?

Does this road go from coast to coast? Studying my maps it seems to stop in Duluth, and I cannot find another sign of it till NH. Does it perhaps double up with another route which goes south of the Lakes and through NY State?

Lifey

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Does this road go from coast to coast?
    There are two separate sections. As usual, Wikipedia has the best information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_2

US-2 doesn't quite go coast to coast, in the US, because it is broken up by Canada. As John mentioned, it has 2 segments, but heading west to east it does go farther than Duluth, and restarts sooner than New Hampshire.

After Duluth, US-2 continues across Northern Wisconsin through Ashland, then cuts slightly southeast through the UP, towards the north shore of Lake Michigan, ending at I-75 just north of the Mackinaw Bridge.

It restarts in the Northeastern-most corner of New York State, heading immediately into Vermont, and then south down the middle of the islands in Lake Champlain, before turning back east towards Montpelier.

The easiest way to connect the two segments would be to head into Canada, from Sault Ste. Marie, toward Montreal and back down.

Default Oh Good.

Thanks guys. (I thought Wikipedia isn't acceptable.) Still haven't found it on my maps, but at least I now know where it goes. Won't be heading into Canada this trip.

Lifey

Wikipedia should never been taken as fact all by itself, but it works for "quick and dirty" background, as long as you go and fact check it yourself. BTW, Jamie Jenson's Roadtrip USA book/site details US-2 pretty closely, calling it "the Great Northern Route."

What are you using for maps Lifey? US-2 is a major highway across Northern Wisconsin and the UP, and I'd be rather shocked if it isn't marked. Similarly, it's the only main highway through the section of islands in Lake Champlain in Vermont, although it is basically right alongside I-89 for much of the rest of Vermont, so that could be easily missed.