Hi All, this forum has seemed helpful to many, so I'm hoping I'll get some good response.
The furthest I've ever driven is about 300 miles and I am about to embark on a 2,000 mile cross country drive to relocate myself for work. I am planning on selling/giving away almost all of my furniture, but still struggling to come to a conclusion about my LCD television. I am deciding between shipping my car and flying (~$2,000 including shipping boxes of clothes etc.) and driving by myself. Money is a concern, but not the only concern, and I have the following questions/topics I would love some help addressing:
1) What is a realistic amount of driving to be able to do in a day?
1a) I have good music and books on tape...any advice on keeping body/mind in tact?!
2) I will be driving with a full trunk and backseat, which makes me think I should only stay in nicer hotels with secure parking, generally in larger cities. Thoughts?
3) Does this self prepared itinerary seem realistic:
Friday: Phoenix to Albuquerque - 420 miles, 8 hours.
Saturday: Alb to Dallas - 650 miles, 11 hours.
Sunday: Dallas to Atlanta - 780 miles, 12 hours.
Monday: Atlanta to Charlotte - 250 miles, 4 hours.
4) Do these dollar estimates seem realistic:
2004 Honda Accord with 90,000 miles gets ~25 mpg (conservatively), avg gas price ~$4/gal, I will spend ~$300 on gas over the 2100 miles.
$150/night for hotel & parking x 2 (Albuquerque & Dallas, I have cousins in Atlanta) = $300 on hotels.
~$50/day on food, entertainment etc = $200
Total calculated cost for my drive = $800 (sounds good compared to the $2000 I estimated to fly...not to mention, it is a lot easier and more pleasant to pack a car than to pack boxes and go to the post office.)
5) Am I grossly underestimating the difficulty associated with this? Driving across country alone, while looking to avoid wasting time/money AND ensuring the safety of my stuff...is it as simple as it sounds? Or is this going to be more trouble than it is worth and would you recommend getting rid of the TV, shipping boxes and my car and flying, ending up in Charlotte with a nearly empty checking account?!?
Any help is appreciated. I'm interested in hearing shared ride ideas and would be happy to help anyone in anyway I can (though I'm not sure how just yet). PLEASE take a couple minutes and earn some karma and help me out!
thanks alot - Joe