Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making Money on a Roll

Jaimie Hall Bruzenak is a featured columnist of the RTA site and also a member of this forum. I am posting this press release regarding a seminar that she is giving about supplementing income while living on the road.
    Support your RV Wanderlust
    Earn money for your RV travels using Workamper expert Jaimie Hall Bruzenak’s proven process for finding a job in this first-ever Workamper University Webinar

* Getting Your First Workamper Job. The six-session course, beginning on January 24, 2009, will be held using Workamper.com’s Webinar technology. Participants will both see and hear the presentation using their computer screen to see the instructor and visuals and their telephone to listen and speak. Classes will be recorded so participants can listen and watch at their convenience if they miss a live session. Click here for complete curriculum, class hours and dates, tuition and list of free bonuses to participants.

Jaimie Hall Bruzenak will lead participants through a process that will enable them to:
    • identify what they have to offer Workamper employers and discover why they are valuable.
    • discover what they want in a job and identify 20 or more potential employers and learn how to research them.
    • figure out how much money they need and have the tools to evaluate a job offer to compute real compensation.
    • translate past experience and skills into a dynamite Workamping resume that attracts Workamper employers.
    • learn how to identify those employers and to ask the right questions.

The Workamper program has been effective for many roadtrippers over the years and I recommend this program.

Mark
    Last edited by Tom_H007; 04-23-2023 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Updated "Click here" link

After briefly checking out the aforementioned company's website, it seems like this program is targeted only to those traveling in an RV. Are there other programs like this that any person traveling the roads in their car can apply for? I am hoping to take an extended road trip at some point, and working a little here and there would allow me to extend my travel time.

I have done this. Taken a vacation and finding work for the summer. This was done in Leadville, Colorado in 2008. I was there from July through October. I found two jobs.

If you're in a car, you can try delivering pizzas.
    You can even find the job before you leave.
    All you need is a good town map and the nerve to ask.

I like this Workamper idea.

Anyone know if this works? Because it'd be my dream.

Default Lots of information to be found on other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichT View Post
    Anyone know if this works? Because it'd be my dream.
    You will find a lot more information about this on the various vandwellers forums, as they are very much into this long term staying in one spot. However, having over my last two trips visited many public land campsites, the majority were without a camphost.

Not sure if this is because folk are shunning the responsibilities expected for little or no return (mostly free camping) or that there are no takers for the more remote campsites.

BTW, I note that you have not yet been formally welcomed into the RTA community - Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum. It is always appreciated when you can jump in with experience and local knowledge.

Lifey

Thank you for the welcome! I've gotten a lot of great information out of this forum already.

If a camp site has a host spot, at least here on the West Coast of the US, it's usually filled. What's really weird is that I'm seeing hosts for places that aren't campgrounds, merely small parks at points of interest. This seems to be coming from an attempt to fill a need (large numbers of full time RVers,) and an attempt to get cheap labor to take care of these places.

Is the RV/Van culture not as prevalent in Australia?

You might want to check into Workamper.com, and read the Workamper News. Our neighbors are among those RV'ers that trade camphosting duties for a free spot to camp for a week, two weeks, or even a month at a time, mostly during the summer. But there are many jobs that can be temporary!

Donna

Default Yes and No!

Quote Originally Posted by ErichT View Post
    Is the RV/Van culture not as prevalent in Australia?
    More camping and campervans than RVs. They need to be vehicles which can navigate the roads. Away from the east coast settlements, only the major highways are ashphalt. See Outback Truckers. The 'caravan' is still the most popular. You don't see the bus type RVs - they wouldn't cope, anyway.

RV parks are few and far between, once you get away from the east coast, but free camping with minimal facilities, is everywhere,. Often they are only for fully selfcontained vehicles. Quite often hotels will allow self contained vehicles to park. (When I say hotels, I am not talking about accommodation establishments, but watering holes along the way.) In fact there is an inch thick book on free (or almost free) campsites. Many rural towns provide free camping, as they know the trade it brings to these communiities. When I drove to Uluru, I often camped just by the side of the road.... along with two or three dozen others.

I pray that it will always stay that way.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    More camping and campervans than RVs. They need to be vehicles which can navigate the roads. Away from the east coast settlements, only the major highways are ashphalt. See Outback Truckers. The 'caravan' is still the most popular. You don't see the bus type RVs - they wouldn't cope, anyway.
    Amazing! Australia outback has been on my bucket list for years. Now that I'm retired, it's becoming more possible. Perhaps 2016 will be the magic year.