Default travel trailer insurance recommendations

Hi All,

A couple of years ago I purchased a 1949 Spartan Royal Mansion travel trailer. After some work and restoration I am ready to hit the road with it in tow this summer. However, my plans came to a screeching halt when my insurance agent told me that none of the companies she deals with will insure it for full coverage. Has anyone run into this and if so, what did you do? I am willing to switch companies completely if it means getting the Spartan insured. It is covered when it is being towed by my truck, but for liability only, even though my truck has full coverage on it(that doesnt sound right to me either).

I sure would hate to leave it dry docked in the yard and not be able to take it out and use it like it was intended. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Nate

Default Contact our experts!

Quote Originally Posted by galaxie50059 View Post
    However, my plans came to a screeching halt when my insurance agent told me that none of the companies she deals with will insure it for full coverage.
    I know that there are companies who write these types of policies -- I would suggest a couple of resources. First, write to our RV Lifestyle columnists, Jaimie and Alice, they are extremely well connected. Also look at the links on this article about historical & vintage trailers, these folks have simliar concerns.

Mark

Thanks for the link to the article and I will look into some of the tips there.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Your trailers insurance flows with the tow vehicles insurance.
    You tow vech insurance usually has add-on provisions too.

BTW:

Roadside service/towing supplemental AAA premium membership with RV and M/C is a few bucks more, and offers extra loooong towing distances in case of breakdown.
    Very much worth the cost.
    Oh brother do I have stories.

Worth a quick look.

Thanks Ross and Alice, the way it was explained to me by the agent was this, my truck has full coverage on it and would be covered anywhere it is. The trailer will only have liability on it when it is being pulled by my truck. That makes no sense to me at all.

So far I am waiting for call backs from two other companies to see what they can do for me on this one. There must be a company out there that wants my money.

Thanks I will look into them for a quote. The RM has been out and about several times in the past couple of years. Everywhere its has been people flock to it. I currently have it insured with Progressive and the rates are very reasonable.