1. Default There and back again

I'd like input for a road trip starting mid-April from northwestern North Carolina to Ft. Myers, FL, and back, two different routes. Family of four with two boys, 3 and 7.

I'll be working heavily until then so I don't have time to do much research, including working my way through websites. So I'd especially like recommendations for:

1) the "you don't want to miss this" attractions, and

2) the best travel guides out there that we can take along, that correspond well to the following parameters:

We want to make it a relatively quick trip, where our goal is to see the oddball type of attractions that little boys would love (Reptile farms, giant lumberjacks, weird museums). We just want these to be short 15-20 minute pit stops every two hours or so along the way. Our route down would likely be the most direct, i.e. I-77, I-26, I-95, then cutting across FL to Ft Myers (or roughly parallel US Highways). Return via Central FL, maybe the panhandle for an airshow with the Thunderbirds in Panama City, then up through Atlanta.

Default A Few Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

A couple of sites that are both near your proposed route southward and that would appeal to two youngsters include Santee State Park in South Carolina near the junction of I-26 and I-95 which has a couple of short nature trails that could be hiked in 20 minutes or so and give them a chance to blow off some steam while the adults stretch their legs and clear their minds, Edisto Island Serpentarium is a bit farther out of your way and a tad pricey for a quick 'pit-stop' type visit, but I know of no small boys who don't love creepy, crawly things.

For the way back, you might want to look into what may be one of the last surviving remnants of roadside kitsch, Weeki Wachee Springs. Or, they might prefer to visit the ancient Indian burial mounds at Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park outside Blakely, GA. By all means, take them through Great Smoky Mountains National Park and then you can finish off with a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway.

AZBuck
    Last edited by Tom_H007; 02-09-2024 at 01:24 AM. Reason: updated Kolomoki, Weeki Wachee, and Santee links

3. Default

Thank you for the suggestions. They seem to be right up our alley. Are there any good guides for "roadside kitsch." That's exactly the type of stuff Dad is personally interested in, and I can't imagine little boys not being interested either!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Roadside kitsch

Are there any good guides for "roadside kitsch."
    The ultimate kitsch roadside attractions along your route is definitely South of the Border in Dillon, SC and check out Ripley's Believe it or not Museum in St. Augustine. You might also want to consider buying one of these books.

Gen

5. Default

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. I'll check in to these.