Default Renting a car at 18

Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a car at 18? I will be driving from Palm Springs, CA to Boston, MA this summer and was wondering if renting a car was at all possible at my age. I have found one or two companies based in California that rent cars to 18 year-olds, but do not allow the car to be driven out of state.. I will be driving with my Dad, who would of course be able to rent a car, but in which case I wouldn't be able to drive.

Does anyone have a solution?

Default New York State

Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a car at 18?
    New York state sets the minium age at 18 by statue. But most of the national carriers won't rent to drivers under the age of 21. I would suggest looking at private firms who lease automobiles for business. Sometimes, they will accept under 21-year old drivers, but it will not be inexpensive.

A possible alternative would be to look into the the auto drive-away companies. I don't remember what the minimum age is. But AutoDrive-Away is one of the best.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Editor. The AutoDrive-Away does seem like a good solution, but from what I understand, the minimum age is 23. As an aside, is there a minimum age for joining AAA, or do you just have to have a valid driver's license?