Well, tomorrow I head out for my almost annual pilgrimage to Roswell, NM, to participate in a New Beetle car show. Each time we go, we try to vary our route in order to see different parts of the country. I'm excited to be hitting the road again and am just basically saying "see ya later" to everyone here if anyone misses my posts while I'm gone.

Our route this year:

Monday: Washington state to Eugene OR (overnight at a friend's and picking up most of our caravan....or, as we call it in New Beetle circles...carabug.)

Tuesday: Eugene OR to Declo ID (to overnight with another carabugger who will be joining us). We will be driving the McKenzie Pass to Sisters and then 26 East through John Day area to see the fossil beds, etc. None of us have ever been in this part of Eastern OR so it should be fun!

Wednesday: Declo ID, to Leadville CO (where we have another night of free-lodging in someone's ski house). OK, we did Leadville before but this time we're veering east north of SLC to take in Vernal, UT, and the Dinosaur NM area. Last year we went south to Green River and east. So most of the day will be new sites for most of us. And another long day of driving. Should be fun!

Thursday: Leadville, CO, to Santa Fe, NM. We drove this route last year but had no time to sightsee in Santa Fe or make any stops along the way. Since most of us have never had time to look around there, so we're planning an overnight stop with several hours in the day to sightsee what looks like an amazing city. On the short list is The Plaza, Loretto Chapel, and several museums of various SW art.

Friday: Santa Fe, NM, to Roswell, NM where we will spend Friday-Saturday in car show activities. Volkswagen is getting involved this year and bringing in Dean Jones (of the Herbie-movies fame) to be our parade grand marshall and pass out trophies. Some other surprises are in store but the planners are being tight-lipped about it. Should be fun!

Sunday: Roswell NM to Carlsbad NM where various other car show activities are planned (group tour of Caverns, Buffalo Hump road rally, and a showing of a Herbie movie with all our NBs for free at a local drive-in.

Monday: Carlsbad NM to Flagstaff AZ via Capital (Smokey the Bear's grave), Socorro (and the Very Large Array), continuing West on US-60 to Holbrook and onto Flagstaff. Yes, another very long day but we're anxious to burn some miles.

Tuesday: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Page AZ. If we get up early and go, we should have time for a taste of the "big ditch" with stops at Tusayan Ruins and the Watchtower.

Wednesday: Page AZ to Panguitch UT with stops at the GC North Rim and Zion NP. Yeah, another long day. We're hitting the road by 7am and will likely not stop until dark. But it should be fun and worth every minute!

Thursday: Panguitch UT to Mountain Home ID. Another long day with an early morning detour to Bryce NP.

Friday: Mountain Home ID to our various points home in the Pacific Northwest (mostly western Washington state towns).

Whew...it will be about 4200 miles of pure joy! Nothing beats a roadtrip in my New Beetle except being on a roadtrip in a carabug with other New Beetles. We think we look pretty cute traveling along the road. :-) (And, yes, I know we're driving long day. We're ready for it!)

All the reservations are set (a mix of cheap hotels and campgrounds), the cooler is packed so I don't need to eat in too many restaurants, the camping gear is about to be packed, and I just need to throw in some clothes and I'm ready to roll. Now I just need to go through my computer withdrawals. LOL

I hope everyone has a great couple of weeks and I'll send a mini-report of the trip when I get back. Take care, Fellow Roadtrippers!