Motorcycle Road Trips: Links & Resources
A Tent for the Road : Review of the Napier X-Treme Sportz Pac (11/19/06)
Laughlin to Williams, Arizona: A motorcycle journey with Robert Schaller (6/13/04)
Route 66 Motorcycle Rally: Ride all 2,448 miles of the Mother Road from Chicago to Los Angeles in June, 2004!
Touring by Motorcycle: Great list of links and publications
Awesome Bike Rides! Maps, photos, and route descriptions for great trips in California and around the U.S.A.
Snowmobile Information: Links to manufacturers & suppliers thoughout the U.S.
Motorcycle Trailers: Adventure Sports Products, based in Colorado, makes innovative trailers for hauling gear and vacation supplies
Motorcycle Journeys Throughout the Southwest, by Martin C. Berke, outlines itineraries for sixty-six rides in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico.[read review]
Buell Motorcycle Company recently published the results of a six-month poll that asked riders around the country to name their favorite stretch of curves. Topping the list is the infamous Deals Gap, a wildly twisting stretch of US Highway 129 that jams 318 turns into 12 miles of undulating pavement in the Smoky Mountain region between Maryville, Tennessee, and Topoco, North Carolina.
Here are the complete results of Buell's Twisty Roads Poll:
1. Deals Gap (US 129) Known to motorcycle riders as The Dragon, it features 318 turns in 12 miles along one stretch between Maryville, Tenn., and Topoco, N.C.
2. Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive Following the spine of the Smoky Mountains from Cherokee, NC to Shenadoah National Park in northern Virginia, this 469-mile National Park climbs to over 6,000 feet and is renowned for its magnificent views.
3. US 12 The scenic stretch between Lolo, Mont., and Lewiston, Idaho, follows a route originally used by explorers Lewis & Clark.
4. Spearfish Canyon (US 85) The stretch from Spearfish to Lead is a favorite while touring the Black Hills in South Dakota.
5. Angeles Crest Highway (California Highway 2) A picturesque, undulating voyage on California Highway 2 and its side roads between Glendale and San Bernardino.
6. Wisconsin State Highway 35 As it traces the path of the Mississippi River, few stretches of Midwestern pavement offer the beauty and curves youll find between Prescott and Pepin, Wis.
7. New Hampshires Kancamagus Highway (Highway 112) Winds over New Hampshires White Mountain ridges and past waterfalls from Lincoln to Conway.
8. Oregons Green Springs Highway (Highway 66) Three river crossings and a climb over 4,700-foot Hayden Mountain Summit highlight this stretch between Klamath Falls and Ashland.
9. Million Dollar Highway (US 550) Named from the low-grade gold ore present in parts of its road bed, this high-altitude highway climbs to over 10,000-foot passes between Durango and Silverton in southwestern Colorado.
10. Arkansas Highway 7 Winding from Harrison to Jasper on through the Ozark National Forest, this route is a Southern delicacy.