Thanks to some great advice on this forum, I've changed our Honeymoon route...
Further to my original idea of driving all the way to Phoenix via the Meteor Crater, I decided to skip the final leg of the trip and finish in Vegas after driving to the Canyon for a couple of nights and back again. From Vegas we will fly to Newark for our connecting flight back to the UK.
This is how it looks:
Further to 4 nights in NYC, the road trip will last 11 days;
Night 1 - Los Angeles
Night 2 - ?
Night 3 & 4 - San Francisco
Night 5 - Yosemite National Park
Night 6 - Death Valley area
Night 7 & 8 - Las Vegas
Night 9 & 10 - Grand Canyon
Night 11 - Las vegas
I have a few of questions which I'm sure you'll be able to help me with:
1) I'm spoilt for choice for our stop-off point between LA and San Francisco. Can anyone advise what the places are like in this region to break up out Highway 1 journey? Somewhere romantic with wonderful views would be perfect.
2) I don't mind a long drive betweem Yosemite and Vegas, but I think the 7 hour(ish) drive might be a bit tough on my girl. Are there some nice places to stay in the Death Valley region or should we stay an extra night at Yosemite and get up early and push right on through to Vegas in one trip? I like the idea of hitting Vegas at night-time, but I also like the idea of breaking up the journey and lodging in the middle of nowhere and spending some time in the open (provided there is something to see and do other than sit in a motel room)
3) Instead of a stop in the Death Valley region, is there a detor we could take between Yosemite and Vegas which would give us something else interesting to see (and stay) on our route?
4) If anyone has any 'must-see' things in a 150 mile radius of Vegas, let me know!
5) If anyone has any 'must-do' excursions/areas we should check out around the Grand Canyon, let me know as we want to spend a couple of days and nights in the area to experience it as much as we can. We are considering a helecopter trip but are also interested in exploring on the ground.
Thanks for any help, you guys are a big help!