1. Default Road Trip from California to Florida going through Utah, Colorado.... Florida

Hello, Fellow travelers,
    I'm about taking a road trip from Redwood City California to Utah then Colorado. My plan so far ends at Granby Colorado. From there I need to make plans to visit the states before reach Florida my final destination. I'm thinking about going through Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Sough Carolina, Georgia, then Florida.

Any advice where I should visit and stay.

Thanks in advance

Joanne
    PS: I'm traveling with my Dog

Default What Floats Your Boat?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The thing about a RoadTrip that makes it unique is that it IS as unique as the person planning and making it. So other than generic advice (we'll get to some of that) to be of real service here, we'd have to know a bit more about what your travel style is like and what your interests are. Do you prefer to just barrel down the Interstates or travel back roads? Stop frequently or only when absolutely necessary? Enjoy history, scenery, or local color? Camp, motel or BnB? Anything you care to share with us can only help us give you suggestions that might have a better chance of being something you'd like.

Just a few pieces of general advice. Granby to anywhere in Florida is a 4+ day drive at a minimum. If you want to stop and see stuff on the way, or drive anything but the most direct Interstate route, you'll need to budget time on top of that. I used to travel with my own dog and he was a joy to have. Just make sure that you stop for a short hike every couple of hours. There are many such opportunities all along our highways. Use your dog as an excuse to visit a few of them.

AZbuck

Also, what is the time frame for this trip? What dates and for how many days?

4. Default

I'm leaving on Sep 5th head to St. George and will stay there for 3 days to visit Zion National Park, then stay at Midway Utah for another 4 days, stay 1 day near Arch National Park, from there go to Pagosa Springs in Colorado, then Rocky Mountain for another 3 days. My booked reservations ends there on Sep 21st. I don't have time constrain, since I'm travel alone with my dog, I do want to stay safe while having fun.

I'm not sure which route I ought to take is better: 1. go up to Nebraska, then down to Kansas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida is my final destination. Not sure how long it will take me, probably a month?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!
    Joanne

Hi! Sounds like a fun trip. Utah and Colorado are gorgeous. You'll find that national parks are not very dog-friendly, though, mostly because of the wildlife.

But as for the rest of your trip: Open up a good map of the US, such as one in a large atlas. What's between Colorado and Florida that you'd REALLY like to see. Mark them in some way.

A good rule of thumb if you have the time, is to limit your behind-the-wheel time to around 350-400 miles. If you have a reservation for the night, that helps you battle that "I'm not tired, I'll keep going!" and allows you a better choice of lodging that you can choose from your electronic device rather than billboards.

I don't think I'd go to Nebraska unless there's family there or something you want to see. That is a wee bit out of the way. There are lots of other routes to take, and looking at a good map will help you see them. The way you mentioned is just one of many ways - eliminating Nebraska.

If you get to the point where you would rather go direct from Granby down to Florida, it's probably the quickest to get on I-70, then I-64 E, I-57S, I-24E and then I-75S. The biggest drawback to that route? Atlanta.

Which brings me to the next point: Whenever you have to travel through a big city, try not to do it during the morning or evening rush. Staying overnight on the opposite side of the city works wonders, because you don't have to worry about that city's rush hour!

Another suggestion: Take belt-loops around the cities if they're available.

Once you take a look at a map of the US, and choose some places you'd like to see, you can come back to us in this same thread and we can offer other suggestions and/or routes to take.

Donna

Default ...and Just Another Suggestion...

Since the stops you've mentioned so far are all National Parks, I'm going to suggest a route and attractions that continue in that vein. From Estes Park CO head for Scottsbluff NE and Scotts Bluff National Monument. That will also put you on the old Oregon Trail which follows the Platte River (along with the Pony Express Trail, the Mormon Pioneer Trail, and the California Trail).

From eastern Nebraska you can follow the Missouri River down through Kansas City to the Ozark Mountains then east to the Ozark National Scenic Riverways and on into Kentucky and Mammoth Cave National Park On a side note, between the Ozarks and Mammoth Cave you'd pass near the site of the largest earthquake in the contiguous United States at New Madrid MO. (There was a 2.6 magnitude quake there yesterday.) Going by way of Mammoth Cave would also set you up to continue to the Tennessee/North Carolina border and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Heading down through Georgia, you could visit Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park and/or Cumberland Island National Seashore. After that, where to stop and visit will depend on just where in Florida you're headed.

AZBuck

Default One beautiful drive !

I'm leaving on Sep 5th head to St. George and will stay there for 3 days to visit Zion National Park, then stay at Midway Utah for another 4 days, stay 1 day near Arch National Park, from there go to Pagosa Springs in Colorado, then Rocky Mountain for another 3 days.
    Out of curiosity, is there a reason for heading to Midway UT such as relatives ? One of the best drives in the USA takes you from Zion NP to Arches NP via Bryce canyon and Capitol reef NP's. This goes through the Mt Carmel tunnel to US89 then north to UT scenic 12 through Escalante to UT24 through Hanksville and briefly onto I-70 and 191 to Arches NP.