Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. Default 23 day round trip

    Hey everyone, been looking through the forum a bit, and have seen some great RT's and some amazing advice given out to people asking for help.
    It got me thinking, that maybe We (my brother and I) could need a few pointers, as this will be our first road trip ever!

    The itinerary is currently looking like this, but is subject to change (we will be going in September 23)

    Days
    1 - 3 - San Francisco
    4 - San simeon/Morro Bay or Pismo Beach
    5 - LA (we have no real interest in LA, other then staying the night)
    6 - Lake Havasau
    7 - Williams
    8-9 - Grand Canyon
    10 - Monument Valley (perhaps going to Page same day)
    11 - Page
    12 - 13 - Bryce Canyon
    14 - 15 - Zion
    16 - 17 Las Vegas
    18 - Bishop
    19 - Bodie
    20 - 21 Yosemite
    22 - 23 SF and home

    Maybe take one more night on the coast between SF and LA... (instead of two nights in SF in the end)

    It is about 2511 miles

    We are well aware there is a few long hauls, but were two driving and figured that we properly could do it..
    Does this look bonkers or?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,768

    Default

    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    I think that looks like a very reasonable trip outline. If anything, I'd say there are some area's you could cut down. For example, Lake Havasu to the Grand Canyon could easily be done without a stop in Williams. Bishop to Bodie probably doesn't need a full day and could be done as part of the trip into Yosemite.

    Speaking of Yosemite, it's worth a reminder that the park is now requiring reservations to enter, although that would be included with your lodge/campground reservation if you are staying overnight within the park.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,668

    Default A couple of questions for you

    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshort View Post
    Hey everyone, been looking through the forum a bit, and have seen some great RT's and some amazing advice given out to people asking for help.
    Thanks for spending some time looking around.

    In additional to Midwest Michael's suggestions:
    4 - San simeon/Morro Bay or Pismo Beach
    Do you like wine or visiting wineries? You will be driving by one of the preeminent wine growing regions in the world.
    5 - LA (we have no real interest in LA, other then staying the night)
    It is a fascinating city. There are so many amazing places to stay. Do you have an idea where you might be going in LA?
    6 - Lake Havasau
    You will be driving right past Joshua Tree National Park and also one of my favorite hotels in California and I am not a huge fan of Lake Havasu City. Why is that this one of your destinations?

    But if you do go that way, I would strongly suggest that you drive over Sitgreaves Pass (Route 66) and take the old road to Williams
    16 - 17 Las Vegas
    RTA is based in Las Vegas. Where are you planning on staying here?
    18 - Bishop
    19 - Bodie
    Bodie is pretty amazing -- but you can't stay overnight there.
    20 - 21 Yosemite
    22 - 23 SF and home

    Mark

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    I think that looks like a very reasonable trip outline. If anything, I'd say there are some area's you could cut down. For example, Lake Havasu to the Grand Canyon could easily be done without a stop in Williams. Bishop to Bodie probably doesn't need a full day and could be done as part of the trip into Yosemite.

    Speaking of Yosemite, it's worth a reminder that the park is now requiring reservations to enter, although that would be included with your lodge/campground reservation if you are staying overnight within the park.
    thanks for the advice, that would very much free up some time to see other things.
    We are considering staying inside the park, have not checked up on prices just yet, first thing was to get a general outline of the places and possible stops.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Thanks for spending some time looking around.

    In additional to Midwest Michael's suggestions:

    Do you like wine or visiting wineries? You will be driving by one of the preeminent wine growing regions in the world.

    It is a fascinating city. There are so many amazing places to stay. Do you have an idea where you might be going in LA?

    You will be driving right past Joshua Tree National Park and also one of my favorite hotels in California and I am not a huge fan of Lake Havasu City. Why is that this one of your destinations?

    But if you do go that way, I would strongly suggest that you drive over Sitgreaves Pass (Route 66) and take the old road to Williams
    RTA is based in Las Vegas. Where are you planning on staying here?
    Bodie is pretty amazing -- but you can't stay overnight there.
    20 - 21 Yosemite
    22 - 23 SF and home

    Mark
    Would be more interesting to visit breweries, that might be something we would look up, I read somewhere there is one interesting one to visit along highway 1.

    At the moment we have not figured out where to stay in LA, and ofcourse there is plenty of things to see and stuff do in LA, It is one of the places where we can spend less time, as were more interested in the national parks.
    Ofcourse if there is must see things in LA, then we will make time for it.

    We actually have Joshua Tree NP in mind, and what is your favorite hotel, would very much be interested in seeing it, as hotel recommendations are very much appreciated.

    Lake Havasu was mostly a stopover, could be any other place in that region, only thing I found interesting there is London Bridge.

    As with LA, we have not considered where to stay in Las Vegas.

    Ment staying over night in Bishop, not Bodie hahaha

    Thank you very much for your fast reply's, means alot.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,668

    Default more options

    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshort View Post
    Would be more interesting to visit breweries, that might be something we would look up, I read somewhere there is one interesting one to visit along highway 1.
    Just about every place has craft beer breweries now. I am partial to the ones found in Las Vegas -- there is a brewery district where it is possible to visit 4-5 within a block's walk.

    At the moment we have not figured out where to stay in LA, and of course there is plenty of things to see and stuff do in LA,
    Venice Beach is pretty fun -- We've stayed a couple of times at the Venice Hotel --
    --> Be sure to scroll down that page (link ) it shows the live web cam from the hotel. It's fund to "visit" muscle beach from time to time. (The camera operator has fun looking at some of the local talent!)

    We actually have Joshua Tree NP in mind, and what is your favorite hotel, would very much be interested in seeing it, as hotel recommendations are very much appreciated.
    I just stayed overnight at the 29 Palms Inn --

    Lake Havasu was mostly a stopover, could be any other place in that region, only thing I found interesting there is London Bridge.
    There are plenty of motels there -- but you might get a kick out of staying at the hotel in Oatman!

    As with LA, we have not considered where to stay in Las Vegas
    .
    Lots of great places for every budget. How much do you want to spend?

    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-16-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added some info

  6. #6

    Default

    There are a few "brewery drive" websites that are useful in planning.
    - https://www.brewerydb.com/map?option=brewery-routes I used this one a lot in the past. It is in "reboot" process aka beta but might still be usable now (there are a few clunks and missing parts as of today)
    - https://beermapping.com/beerroutes/
    - well, the third one I have used is now closed
    - Google Maps, search for breweries or brew pub

    On your coastal south drive I would highly recommend the Firestone Walker in Paso Robles and Buellton. They also have a decent tap house in Venice but the area was kind of seedy.

  7. Default

    Just about every place has craft beer breweries now. I am partial to the ones found in Las Vegas -- there is a brewery district where it is possible to visit 4-5 within a block's walk.
    Sounds great about Las Vegas, will look into that, thanks

    Venice Beach is pretty fun -- We've stayed a couple of times at the Venice Hotel --
    Ahh yah, also a place I heard about.

    I just stayed overnight at the 29 Palms Inn --
    Cool, thanks for sharing, will absolutely check this one out as well.

    There are plenty of motels there -- but you might get a kick out of staying at the hotel in Oatman!
    Never thought about Oatman, could be a great possibility, another thought we had, was Williams, that just means a little longer drive from LA, and could manage that.

    Lots of great places for every budget. How much do you want to spend?
    After the flight and transport are paid, we would have about $300 a day, for everything else.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,668

    Default a couple places I have stayed at

    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshort View Post
    Never thought about Oatman, could be a great possibility,
    I thought they had reopened the rooms, but a quick check shows that I was wrong. Here are the hotels in Lake Havasu city you can book through RTA.

    A lot of people like staying downtown Las Vegas --

    I have enjoyed the El Cortez due to the location.

    But I always recommend the South Pointe -- not walking distance from the Strip, but good value. I have stayed at the Wynn and the Sahara and Caesars -- all fun Strip properties

    Wynn always has free parking -- which is a nice thing.

    The Speakeasy at the Mob Museum is a pretty cool thing.

    Mark

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landmariner View Post
    There are a few "brewery drive" websites that are useful in planning.
    - https://www.brewerydb.com/map?option=brewery-routes I used this one a lot in the past. It is in "reboot" process aka beta but might still be usable now (there are a few clunks and missing parts as of today)
    - https://beermapping.com/beerroutes/
    - well, the third one I have used is now closed
    - Google Maps, search for breweries or brew pub

    On your coastal south drive I would highly recommend the Firestone Walker in Paso Robles and Buellton. They also have a decent tap house in Venice but the area was kind of seedy.
    Thank you very much, this helps alot with the planning

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    I thought they had reopened the rooms, but a quick check shows that I was wrong. Here are the hotels in Lake Havasu city you can book through RTA.

    A lot of people like staying downtown Las Vegas --

    I have enjoyed the El Cortez due to the location.

    But I always recommend the South Pointe -- not walking distance from the Strip, but good value. I have stayed at the Wynn and the Sahara and Caesars -- all fun Strip properties

    Wynn always has free parking -- which is a nice thing.

    The Speakeasy at the Mob Museum is a pretty cool thing.

    Mark
    to bad about Oatman, might try Williams instead, there several night/evening photography opportunity there as well.

    Thank you for your reccomendations, will look them up

Similar Threads

  1. Car for Non round trip
    By claperci1 in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM
  2. Round Trip
    By Jaycee_06 in forum RTA Map Center -- Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM
  3. 26 day round trip from LA
    By Moose707 in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 01:39 AM
  4. AZ to WA round trip
    By n8vofaz in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM
  5. SW Round trip
    By rjames22 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

  • MORE TO EXPLORE