1. Default Denver (DIA) to Sarasota

Hello fellow roadsters. I’m taking a road trip from Colorado to Florida. Specifically the Denver airport (rental car) to Sarasota Florida. I’ve read forums and found several routes that people have taken in the past. I’m looking to make my trip an adventure. I’m leaving on or around November 28th, and would like to arrive in Sarasota by December 1st. These dates are a bit flexible. I will most likely be traveling with my girlfriend. We are interested in potentially seeing landmark, famous or iconic places, but mainly just want to make the trip fun. I’ve driven through Kansas before and it was basically dreadful haha. If it’s the best route for our overall goal than so be it. Any recommendations from people who have taken this journey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-04-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Moved from Moderation on old post to it's own thread

Default Fun Requires Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's cut right to the chase. If you can't leave Denver until the morning of the 28th and have to be in Sarasota by the evening of the first, then you have essentially no choice but to take the most efficient route possible. That would be I-70 to St. Louis (yes, through Kansas),then I-64/I-57/I-24 via Mt. Vernon IL, Paducah KY and Nashville TN to I-75 the rest of the way to Sarasota. Using that route, you'd 'only' have to cover a bit under 500 miles per day, which would leave a little time each day for a couple of short stops. Anything much more than that, either in routing or length of stops, will require you to add another day.

Note that having two drivers does not help. Your vehicle will not go any faster with an extra passenger. Indeed, having another person will slow you down since you'll have to stop more frequently for food/fuel/bathroom breaks, and each stop will take longer. And no, you shouldn't try to drive more hours. While you are not subject to the rules of the National Transportation Safety Board for professional drivers, those rules limit the number of hours a driver can be in the cab, not just behind the wheel, because sitting awake or asleep in the car (cab) is just as enervating as driving. So unless you're towing a completely separate sleeping compartment, you shouldn't be on the road much more than about ten hours total each day.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 11-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.

While I understand your reticence about Kansas, there are a couple of stops that might interest you to do your "short stops". I have family in Kansas. We always enjoy the eastern side of KS along I-70, more than the western side. I think it's the rolling hills!

First, in Abilene, KS, there is a Russell Stover Chocolate candy factory with a nice outlet store. Go in there, and the back room is where all the heavily discounted candy might be. This is worth a 15-20 minute stop.

If you're into history and have time for a slightly longer stop, the Dwight D Eisenhower Library and burial plot (also in Abilene KS) is a nice place to spend an hour or so and learning about this president who was also a General in the Army during the Korean Conflict.

I'm inclined to agree with AZBuck, though -- to do that trip in 4 driving days, you need to focus on the driving and enjoy the views from the windshield -- even if they're not all beautiful like Colorado.

Donna

I am not a big fan of the Denver to St. Louis stretch of I-70, so I almost always choose alternate routes such as I-80 (out of your way) or via US highways south of I-70, usually a route that takes me through (Kansas) Garden City, Dodge City, Wichita, (Missouri) Joplin, Springfield, At that point I head up to St. Louis and continue East along I-70.

In your case, I did drive the following segment enroute to Calif after visiting Mammoth Cave NP: (Kentucky) Paducah, dip down and drive through middle of Land Between the Lakes Nat'l Recreation Area (I mostly drove the more scenic Ozarks US-160 rather than US-60). From there you have a number of options but probably want to avoid Atlanta due to traffic notoriety.

1900 miles in 3 days? That's about 35 hrs of driving. About 12 hrs/day.
    Not smart.

Glad I'm not going with you.

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    1900 miles in 3 days? That's about 35 hrs of driving. About 12 hrs/day.
    Not smart.

Glad I'm not going with you.
    Four days actually, but that doesn't leave much time for any alternative routing which would take longer or for making any touristing stops.

Quote Originally Posted by landmariner View Post
    Four days actually, but that doesn't leave much time for any alternative routing which would take longer or for making any touristing stops.
    He said he had 3 days. I agree that it's really 4.

4 days if you leave the morning of the 28th and arrive the evening of the 1st.