Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

EZ Pass is a good suggestion however it can add up quickly in Virginia as it is a variable toll. However given the days of travel it may not be worth using as the other lanes may not be too bad, plus I have no idea which direction will be in effect as the HOV lanes alter directions on 95 in Virginia.

EZ-Pass is needed for the NJ Turnpike, Delaware Memorial Bridge (southbound only), Delaware Turnpike (unless you know the bypass), and Harbor Tunnel. On the return trip it will also be needed for I-95 Maryland and the GWB.

Default Not Required

New Jersey changed the EZPass requirement in mid-May and will now take cash at toll booths. The Delaware Memorial Bridge made the same change at the same time. The Delaware Turnpike's website says they accept cash. The Maryland Turnpike's website says it won't accept cash but you do not need to get EZPass. Simply go through a toll lane and they will scan your license plate and send you a bill, a system known as Video Tolling. The same is true for the Harbor Tunnel. Note also that there is a warning on the MD toll road site warning of construction on I-895/the Harbor Tunnel so you may want to alter your routing accordingly.

NB: Whenever approaching a toll booth, be courteous and mindful of the collector's well-being: put on your mask.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Take the DC beltway, either direction, your choice, back to I-95/
    Not sure if this is still true, but a map I have (which is definitely older) showed I-95 following the beltway to the east side of DC. Not sure if that is still correct, or if there is any actual signage to that effect, but if there is it's probably easiest to just follow that?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Not sure if this is still true, but a map I have (which is definitely older) showed I-95 following the beltway to the east side of DC. Not sure if that is still correct, or if there is any actual signage to that effect, but if there is it's probably easiest to just follow that?
    This was confusing for years with I-95 being the eastern beltway and I-495 beign the western beltway. Now it is all I-495. The road signs will likely steer you the eastern route, which isn't too bad, however, it goes over a wide section of the Potomac River on a long, high bridge whereas the western beltway goes over a narrower less intimidating bridge. However, the western beltway can become confusing on the Virginia stretch with an array of toll road/express road options along with the pedestrian lanes for the common folk.

Back of the envelope going south from NYC via I-95 vs I-81, add $25 in tolls. See this link:
    https://tollguru.com/car-toll-calculator

Instead of saying EZ-Pass "needed", I should have said without one, there will be some inconvenience, which can be considerable if there's a traffic backup at the cash lane. License plate tolling can get expensive with service charges.

If there is still construction at the Harbor Tunnel and it's backed up, just stay on I-95 and take the newer tunnel. If there are issues with both tunnels, the I-695 beltway will use the Key Bridge if you go south, it will go around the city if you go north.