Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Us-287 was just gorgeous; thank you for the suggestion.
    Driving in the park was easy, and fast. One back-up as a herd of bison walked into the road.
    There was a slight detour in to see Old Faithful, but it wasn't bad.

We are staying in a terrific place called Evergreen Motel in West Yellowstone, and want to go back into the park tomorrow. Where should we go?
    We will probably want to leave the park around 3ish to continue West - which route do you suggest????
    would something like -- devil's tower, Wyoming, then Mount Rushmore, then Custer State Park, then Wall Drug, then the badlands, corn palace, spam museum Chicago, etc. Would this work??? We found the route on the Adventurous Woman Blog....
    Last edited by dqquinn; 10-14-2020 at 09:11 PM.

We are staying in a terrific place called Evergreen Motel in West Yellowstone, and want to go back into the park tomorrow. Where should we go?
    We will probably want to leave the park around 3ish to continue West - which route do you suggest???
    Its worth heading to Canyon village and the 'Grand canyon of the Yellowstone', it's amazing ! Unfortunately the Beartooth Highway (US212) has closed for the season so you could travel down to Yellowstone Lake and west to Cody on US14 and Alt 14 to Bighorn canyon. If you still have some time to spare you might want to consider heading a bit further south from Yellowstone and take a peak at the Grand Tetons. Have fun !

I think you mean continue East, not west?

I'm glad you found the Evergreen! I posted about that place a few years ago.

Be careful on US-14 and Alt-14, it's snowing.

Default Rapid City

In my opinion, one of the most underrated scenic/historic areas of the US is the one surrounding Rapid City SD. If you can spare it a couple of days, you'll be well rewarded. The obligatory stop is of course Mount Rushmore, but there's also Devils Tower, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, the Mammoth Site and Badlands NP. A bit farther east on I-90 there's also the obligatory kitsch stop: Wall Drug.

AZBuck

5. Default

Yikes! Snow? Am i making a mistake going to cody and the rapid city area?

Not necessarily, just be careful. It's not a lot of snow, which is actually leaving the area, it's just a few slick road stretches.

Wyoming road conditions: https://map.wyoroad.info/wtimap/index.html

South Dakota road conditions: https://www.safetravelusa.com/sd/

7. Default

Well, we were turned around at Canyon Village and had to retreat to West Yellowstone. We then drove north on 191 to Bozeman and then east to Buffalo, Wyoming, where we stayed overnight in the totally WONDERFUL Occidental Hotel (except we were almost the only ones wearing face masks). Our room in the hotel is filled with antique furniture, there's a clawfoot bathtub in the bathroom, and it's just delightful.

We have a loose plan for today - Devil's tower, then Crazy Horse, then Mt Rushmore, then Custer State Park (buffalo corral, where they do the bison winnowing>??) Wall Drug, then the Bad Lands Loop.
    We probably can;t do all this today, is that right?
    Last edited by dqquinn; 10-16-2020 at 07:40 AM.

8. Default

Hi - I have a report coming, but i have a question. We are in Sioux Falls SD tonight. Which route back to DC do y’all suggest???

Default How much time do have

How much time do you have at this point before you need to be back in DC?

Default Do you only have two days?

I just read the thread, if I understand the timing correctly, you only have two days to reach DC? Is that correct?

If so, by the fastest possible route you are 1273 miles from DC. Which means that would need to be on the road at least 11 hours of travel per day.

Anyway, the fastest route is I-90 to Chicago and onto I-76 and on into Washington.

So, not much time for sight seeing.

Mark