Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Landmariner - what would you think about using Buck's route as far as Hagerstown, then picking up I-81? It adds about 35 miles, but do you think morning traffic would be any better instead of fighting DC?

I also see another possibility - US-340 and VA-7 from Frederick to Winchester?
    GLC's suggestion is a sound one. The only times I ever venture on the DC beltway to I-66 is on weekends and right now will all the road work everywhere it just isn't worth the detours, nails in tires, etc.

US-340 from Frederick is a good driving road, four lanes most of the way. The VA-7 across the river is a bit more winds and lights but is not a deal breaker. I-70 to I-81 is simply easy to do. Maybe check your Google Maps traffic and flip the coin. But, I would stay away from the DC beltway and I-66 during the work week, even during lighter traffic covid days.

It also looks to me that you don't have to go all the way into I-695 to get around Baltimore - MD-32 is an option, as is MD-100, to get from I-97 to I-70.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It also looks to me that you don't have to go all the way into I-695 to get around Baltimore - MD-32 is an option, as is MD-100, to get from I-97 to I-70.
    Those are both decent options. Again, leaving from DE around 7 or 8a are good for mitigating traffic impacts as both MD-32 and MD-100 are commuter arteries. MD-32 is four-lane most of the way to I-95 from I-97, and you will pass the huge National Security Agency complex on the way.

Default Truck Stops

As one who has been staying at truck stops for years, some trips for months on end, be aware, not all truck stops allow overnight parking, especially with an RV. [e.g. Pilot/FJ has something like three doz truck stops in one State of which 9 allow overnight parking.] It pays to check on the internet with each individual truck stop to see if they allow RV parking. Those which do will have spots marked out for you.

When I park at a truck stop, I go inside and ask if overnight parking is permissable, even if I have seen on the internet that they allow it. Everytime I go into a truck stop I ask as if it is my first time. Then I ask where would they like me to park (my campervan), and follow their instructions.

The benefits are that the parking lot is well lit, and have people coming and going all night. Most have extra security, as well as their CCTV. Those which don't have the local law enforcement come around regularly all night. I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe at a truck stop. Curtains keep out the light, and as far as all the trucks go, normally they are behind the building, whereas RV parking is usually in front of the building. I never hear them. (One benefit of advancing years - my hearing is not that good!)

My preference is for Pilot/FJ, but I know others have other preferences. I also prefer to choose one which has a restaurant rather than just take away food. Most have microwaves for the public to use, and all have showers for a charge. Wifi is now pretty commoni, some free and some charged.

Lifey