Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I-70 closed east of Glenwood Springs. Posted 12 Aug 2020

Grizzly Creek fire has closed I-70 east of Glenwood Springs in both directions for the last 2 days.
    Road will remain closed for an unknown time. There is no containment of the fire yet. Detours are VERY lengthy.

There is also some trouble with semi trucks trying to use Independence Pass (CO 82 between appx Leadville and Vail).
    The road is narrow and winding and semis are prohibited on it but.... they've been doing it anyway.

So the CSP has closed that road completely.

Check road conditions on the CO DOT page - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/roadConditions

My daughter in Arapahoe County (SE/E of Denver) has stated that they have an Air Quality Alert. She stated that it is pretty hazy there - smoke in the air - she sighs and says, "I thought I moved away from wildfires when I left California!"

Donna

Visibility is definitely down along the Front Range.

Prevailing winds say that Ca wildfires will cause smoke in Colorado many years.

I've had September backpack trips affected by Ca smoke - greatly hinders the views off the 14,000' mountains.

If she moved to Hawaii (upwind) she'd be out of the smoke plume (+/- volcano smoke)

We were trying to view Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park, 3 years ago - blocked by smoke from Canada wildfires. It was sad.

I haven't looked to see if I-70 has reopened. Truckers will have to go a really long way around!

Donna

No estimated time for reopening. Detour routes from CDOT:

DETOUR ROUTES
    Suggested detour routes remain the same as earlier today. Drivers should anticipate additional traffic on these routes. CDOT has paused some construction projects in order to accommodate detour traffic. However, travelers should be aware of possible construction impacts on US and state highways. CDOT recommends that through traffic on I-70 use a southern detour route, due to construction on commonly used northern alternate routes.

WESTBOUND: Denver metro area motorists can travel on US 285 to US 50, and continue west to Grand Junction. Travelers on I-70 can use CO 9 to US 285 south to US 50, or use CO 91 southwest to US 24 to US 50.
    EASTBOUND: Motorists traveling from Grand Junction can use US 50 east to US 285 and continue to Denver. Motorists headed to areas west of Denver can also use the westbound detour in reverse.

For residents and businesses north of I-70, the following alternate routes are best:

WESTBOUND: Motorists can connect to US 40 via CO 9 or CO 131. To continue to Grand Junction, take CO 139 south to I-70. CDOT advises commercial traffic to use CO 9 instead of CO 131, for safety purposes. Please note that while CO 13 is open at this time, it is not a recommended detour due to construction. Oversize commercial vehicles are not allowed on CO 13 due to construction.
    EASTBOUND: Near Fruita, motorists can travel north on CO 139 to US 40, then south on CO 131 or CO 9, returning to I-70. As stated above, CO 13 is not recommended due to construction.
    CDOT asks that motorists not use Cottonwood Pass (Eagle & Garfield counties) or Independence Pass as detour routes, as these roads are not built for heavy traffic or commercial oversize vehicles. Vehicles over 35 feet in length may not use Independence Pass at any time. This includes a vehicle and trailer that, together, exceed 35 feet.
    Since this was posted, they have closed Cottonwood Pass and Independence Pass (CO-82). Cameron Pass (CO-14) is also closed due to fires.

Default these are fast-running fires

Yes, these are fast-running fires. Did you see the video of the start of the 1-70 fire? I will see if can't find it again and post here.

Mark

Smoke continues to plague the Front Range. We're even getting some ashfall from the Cameron Peak fire (near Cameron Pass up CO 14). Going west across Colorado from the Front Range is quite difficult now. No forecast for when I-70 will reopen.

Independence Pass (CO-82) is reopened, no vehicles or combinations over 35 feet length, no oversize or overweight vehicles allowed.

There are signs on I-80 in Nebraska warning of the I-70 closure. I-76 certainly has far less traffic than usual.

Was in Fort Collins yesterday, and the smoke in town was thick, presumably from the Cameron peak fire.

Smoke hasn't been too bad inside Rocky mountain national Park, but it feels like the wind has changed, as there is certainly a hazy and occasional smell of smoke now in Grand Lake.

I-70 has partially reopened with single lane in each direction. Could be closed again at any time because that fire is only 44% contained.

CO 14 west of Ft. Collins is still closed. That fire may burn until the first snowfall.