Default Kansas City to Providence

: I-435 around Kansas City, I-270 north of St. Louis, I-465 south of Indianapolis, and I-270 north around Columbus. From Columbus head north on I-71 to I-76 east continuing onto I-80 east at the junction with the Ohio Turnpike. I-80 will take you across northern Pennsylvania to Scranton where a short stint on I-81 north/I-380 will connect you with I-84 (again!). Stay on I-84 to the Mass Pike and use that for a couple of exits to I-290/I-495 around Boston. You then have the choice, depending on where in New Hampshire you're headed, to use I-91 north (from Hartford), US-3 north (from Lowell), I-93 north (from Lawrence), or NH-16 north (from Portsmouth).

AZBuck
    I was interested to know why you would take this route. I'm driving to Providence RI from KC and didn't know whether I80 or I90 from Columbus would be a better route. I have a 4 cylinder Corolla, so I'm always hesitant to take on too many big trucks or big hills.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-24-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Moved to its own thrread

Welcome to the RTA Forum, mratzelster!

The quote from above was taken from a response to a 7 year old thread about a cross country move in a moving truck..

I'm not entirely sure of your questions - I-80/90 is the same highway from near Cleveland to just outside Chicago, and does not go near Columbus. It is also a toll road the entire section of the route, which can be particularly expensive in a truck or with a trailer, which is part of Buck's reasoning for suggesting avoiding it.

I-90 is also toll route across New York and Mass, and coming from Rhode Island, I'd see no reason to use it.

If you're going the reverse direction, get on I-84, using a route appropriate for your exact starting point, and then follow the reverse of Buck's above listed advice.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-24-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: reference changed due to moved thread

Default Why? Becau$e...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As you can see, I've moved your post out of a seven-year-old thread and started a new one just for your request and replies. I have also noted elsewhere that I-80/I-90 around the bottom of the Great Lakes is my second least favorite road in America for a few reasons: It's toll. It sees heavy truck traffic. I hate paying to use roads that I've already paid for. It's congested. It's toll.

Thus my recommendation to use (basically) I-70/I-71/I-76/I-80/I-84. Your Corolla should do just fine on those roads, and I-80 is about as level a crossing of the Appalachians as you're going to find other than I-90 (the New York State Thruway: Toll, TOLL, TOLL!). I-84 also avoids NYC and will get you to Hartford in good order. there are a couple of options between Hartford and Providence. My personal favorite is US-6, but I-691, CT-66 and CT-9 to I-95 works too, as does US-44.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-24-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added connecting road

You can also consult this:
    https://tollguru.com/

Regardless, I would skip the toll roads and other highways around Chicago as they can all be pot holed and rutted, at least that is how we found them one year ago October.

Here are the distances and tolls for 3 different routes from Columbus to Providence:

1. Shortest: I-70/I-76/I-81/I-78/I-287/I-95: 725 miles, $29.00
    2. Recommended: I-71/I-76/I-80/I-81/I-84/US-6: 740 miles, $1.75
    3. Northern: I-71/I-271/I-90/MA-146: 770 miles, $23.80

Tolls would be a pain unless you have an EZ-Pass. A lot of these tolls are electronic only and without a transponder it's pay by plate, you get a bill in the mail or you have to go online and pay after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Here are the distances and tolls for 3 different routes from Columbus to Providence:

1. Shortest: I-70/I-76/I-81/I-78/I-287/I-95: 725 miles, $29.00
    2. Recommended: I-71/I-76/I-80/I-81/I-84/US-6: 740 miles, $1.75
    3. Northern: I-71/I-271/I-90/MA-146: 770 miles, $23.80

Tolls would be a pain unless you have an EZ-Pass. A lot of these tolls are electronic only and without a transponder it's pay by plate, you get a bill in the mail or you have to go online and pay after the fact.
    Also to remember that many of these newer tolls where you get mailed a bill by plate are higher than you would pay with an EZ-Pass, so those quoted prices may vary depending on how you pay. Not #2, though (that's the bridge over the Hudson, I presume - they haven't done that as of yet, though it did go up from $1.50 a short time ago).

I quoted cash tolls and license plate tolls where applicable, not EZ-Pass rates.