Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,512

    Default

    My husband and I are traveling, and we are both over 60. We asked our doctor what she thought about travel. Her main comments were, "Stay out of crowds", "Wear a mask", "Wash your hands a lot," and "don't touch your face."

    As for your daughter going back to college, even some of the colleges are trying to decide what to do. My SIL teaches at a midwestern college in Kansas, and they are still "on the fence" about classes this fall. She's decided that if she goes back to teach (and in-person is best for her field), she will be taking a shower when she gets home every day. Your daughter is probably in less danger than some of her professors and asst profs.


    Donna

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landmariner View Post
    Obtain some N95 masks if possible for self-protection in the restrooms.
    You cannot just put on any old N-95 mask and expect it to provide ANY protection unless you have been professionally FIT TESTED to determine which brand and size mask fits YOUR face, and you are instructed how to properly adjust and wear the mask.

    I have done this testing for many years in a hospital.

    Here is a video of what’s involved. If ANY leak occurs while you wear it, it fails to protect you.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4qX6qEYXU

    And, fit testing is a serious issue.

    https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles...95-respirators
    Last edited by travelingman; 07-01-2020 at 08:04 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO.
    Posts
    367

    Default

    I just returned from a trip from Colorado thru Wyoming, Idaho to Montana and back by motorcycle. Campgrounds are very busy as are the usual stops along interstates (standing in line 20 min at Subway in Rawlins for instance)

    I think everyone is social distancing in campgrounds since so many other choices are closed.

    One campground that's usually been nearly empty was full this time except I got the last spot.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    I just returned from a trip from Colorado thru Wyoming, Idaho to Montana and back by motorcycle. Campgrounds are very busy as are the usual stops along interstates (standing in line 20 min at Subway in Rawlins for instance)
    I think everyone is social distancing in campgrounds since so many other choices are closed.
    One campground that's usually been nearly empty was full this time except I got the last spot.

    So, sounds like camping is popular this year! I think the lean toward driving is strong. My kid is liking the idea, and I would enjoy the time together. I think hotels/motels are what we'll go for. Being too new to camping makes that too challenging to take on during a pandemic.

    As for route, I'm thinking Seattle-Missoula, MT-Buffalo, WY-Mt. Rushmore (maybe only...we've seen it several times), Badlands Nat'l Park, SD (drive the loop from Wall to the Ben Reifel ctr at least), Sioux City, IA, Indianapolis, IN, DC. So, I-90-I-80-I-74-I-70-I-270.
    I have an EZ-Pass for the tolls. Driving a Toyota Sequoia that's made three cross-country trips already.

    Suggestions for a good stopping place between Sioux City and Indianapolis and Indianapolis and DC welcome! Just need a decent size town likely to have multiple hotel/motel and some dining options. Bonus for any natural areas that we could see -- mounds, waterfalls, etc. that are near enough to the highway to be a lunch stop.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,971

    Default

    The halfway point between Sioux City and Indy would be Davenport IA, plenty of services there. Between Indy and DC, halfway would be St. Clairsville OH, plenty of services there.

    Rather than take the PA Turnpike, I'd go south on I-79 at Washington PA to I-68 back to I-70. Not only is it toll-free, it's a better road, same amount of time.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    9,967

    Default Good Choices

    Well, I will say you've already made a couple of outstanding choices! Not flying, especially now that two of the four major airlines have gone back to pre-pandemic cattle car standards is perhaps the best one. Also, the inclusion of Sioux City and Indianapolis indicates that you're going to eschew the Midwestern Turnpike$, and for only about 30 miles more on the odometer.

    There's lots more to do in the Rapid City area besides Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. For a relatively short stop consider Devils Tower which can be included on a loop from I-90 via US-14 and WY-24. If you're looking for a longer and/or more adventuresome stop in the area consider Wind Cave or Jewel Cave.

    Depending on the weather (wind) you might want to consider US-20/I-380 between Sioux City and Iowa City rather than staying on I-29/I-80 through Des Moines. Although it's a surface road, US-20 is a four-lane divided highway with controlled access at major intersections and a 65 mph or so speed limit.

    For a stop between Sioux City and Indianapolis, I'd think somewhere around the Quad Cities on the Mississippi would work well. Between Indianapolis and DC, I'd be looking for something on or near the Ohio around Wheeling. That would make your last day into DC a bit shorter as you'll be crossing the Appalachians (via I-79/I-68). Remember I-76 is the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which is both narrow and expensive.

    And finally, I'll refer you back to the list I pointed you to in my initial response for scenic roadside 'rest areas' that can serve as both picnic grounds and let you get a little exercise to break up the day.

    AZBuck

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post

    Rather than take the PA Turnpike, I'd go south on I-79 at Washington PA to I-68 back to I-70. Not only is it toll-free, it's a better road, same amount of time.
    I use to travel a lot between DC area and Indiana and absolutely second taking I-79 down to I-68 to I-70. The drive through western Maryland and the mountains is so much nicer, and free, compared to the PA Turnpike.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NowthatIamretired View Post
    I use to travel a lot between DC area and Indiana and absolutely second taking I-79 down to I-68 to I-70. The drive through western Maryland and the mountains is so much nicer, and free, compared to the PA Turnpike.
    Me three. I lived in DC and made that drive numerous times; I wouldn't do it any other way!

    Rick

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    You cannot just put on any old N-95 mask and expect it to provide ANY protection unless you have been professionally FIT TESTED to determine which brand and size mask fits YOUR face, and you are instructed how to properly adjust and wear the mask.

    I have done this testing for many years in a hospital.

    Here is a video of what’s involved. If ANY leak occurs while you wear it, it fails to protect you.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4qX6qEYXU

    And, fit testing is a serious issue.

    https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles...95-respirators
    My wife is a long time OR nurse (neuro), edited a section of Lippincott for years, and put together an award winning poster for AORN annual convention on sterile control. She fits me with an N95. Nonetheless, that is for only higher risk situations. Given the innate engineering of the N95 it is still safer than the every day surgical mask which is better than an ordinary mask which is safer than the everyday homemade versions. But you are absolutely right that to get 100% out of an N95 it needs to properly fitted, beards are no-no's, etc. When the risk of going into a close space, poorly ventilated rest area bathroom, I prefer to be even 15 percent safer.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    <snip>

    Rather than take the PA Turnpike, I'd go south on I-79 at Washington PA to I-68 back to I-70. Not only is it toll-free, it's a better road, same amount of time.
    Totally agree on the I-79 option instead of the turnpike.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2020, 07:01 PM
  2. Southwest - time constraint and sightseeing advice
    By youknowwho in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
  3. Chicago to Seattle (with kids) and Back - HELP!!!
    By Buck62 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 02:45 PM
  4. Seattle to New York! sightseeing/activity suggestions?
    By nroquet in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:14 PM
  5. Trip with Cleveland, Seattle and LA
    By Morris in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

  • MORE TO EXPLORE