Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    I think youíre trying to do too much and are driving rather than sightseeing.

Consider spending one entire day in Zion doing the Narrows Hike in the Virgin River. This can only be done in times of low water flow. Less than 70 cfm is best. With June, you never know. Here is where you can check the flow

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?09405500

IF the weather is cooperative, I would go so far as to skip the Grand Canyon in favor of the Narrows. Again, June could have low flow or torrential.

You HAVE to spend a full day at Bryce! Hike from sunrise point to sunset point. Itís otherworldly!

Iíve been to the Grand Canyon several times but much prefer Bryce and Zion for the personal experience.

On the other hand, if youíre planning a hike down into the Grand Canyon, then definitely do that instead.

You could easily make a loop from Las Vegas and cut out San Francisco. You could add In Arches NP as well as Canyonlands. There are also some unique State Parks such as Goblin Valley.

I love to visit, and experience, these wonders every time Iíd visit the West. For me, the Grand Canyon is beautiful but itís a ďbeen there, seen thatĒ experience. From the rim, that is.
    Thanks for the input! We will have our 2 kids with us, 4/7 so no crazy hikes happening, they just aren't use to it living in flat Florida. We will limit our hikes to probably 5 miles or less. My 3 musts are Grand canyon (like you said once in a lifetime but never been) Zion and Yosemite. San Francisco seemed the most logical if ending in Yosemite. I wish we had more time but work calls, so 12 days it is.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Just a drive through Death valley with a couple of brief stops can be rewarding enough. However, if it doesn't really appeal to you and the Tioga pass is open, you could get to Lee Vining from Zion in one long day. ( Lee Vining being close to the east entry gate into Yosemite. You will want to take your time over Tioga pass and enjoy some of it's sights the following day) To make this alternative drive interesting you can head south on 1-15 to Moapa and take NV168 to US93 at Coyote springs and north to Crystal springs where you will meet up with NV375. This is otherwise known as the 'ET Highway' where you will find some 'Out of this world' memorabilia and refreshments from the Little A'le'Inn. Expect to see some dust being kicked up by security guards patrolling Area51 in the distance. When you get to US6 you will see abandoned buildings and a small swimming pool fed with water from a natural hot spring just across the road. This is (was) Warm Springs which originally was an old stagecoach station and you can still see remains of the old stone coral. It's worth a quick stop to stretch the legs and look around. US6 then continues to the historic town of Tonopah, 'Queen of the silver camps' back in it's day. At Benton take CA120 to US395 into Lee Vining and after a long day on the road, enjoy sunset over Mono Lake.
    Ok I'm really looking at the ET highway route but what happens if the Tioga pass is closed once I get there and lodging is already secured? Do you have to drive all the way around from Lee Vinning?

You would have to go south to CA-178 or north to CA-88, unless CA-108 or CA-4 are open. It's easy enough to check on the status before you leave Zion.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You would have to go south to CA-178 or north to CA-88, unless CA-108 or CA-4 are open. It's easy enough to check on the status before you leave Zion.
    Not sure how to reply without a quote but this is my updated, now I'm not sure if I should do horseshoe/Bryce or just add another day in a place in already going.

Here is the information from her photo: (added by Moderator)

Tuesday.........June 1st........Las Vegas
    Wednesday........June 2nd....... Hoover Dam Tour, Grand Canyon
    Thursday....... June 3rd....... Grand Canyon
    Friday....... June 4th....... Horseshoe Bend & Bryce
    Saturday....... June 5th....... Zion
    Sunday....... June 6th....... Zion
    Monday....... June 7th....... Zion to Lee Vining
    Tue to Thurs....... June 8 to 10....... Yosemite
    Fri to Sat....... June 11 to 12....... San Francisco
    Sunday....... June 13....... Leave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-18-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: converted image info to text

Just click on 'reply' to do so without a quote. With your updated plan I presume you are visiting the South rim ? Yes it would work but now you are getting down to the fine details where with or without Bryce will work but it's at what pace you want to travel and what your gut tells you. Personally I would choose Bryce over a Hoover Dam tour if I had to choose, but again it's all about personal choice.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Just click on 'reply' to do so without a quote. With your updated plan I presume you are visiting the South rim ? Yes it would work but now you are getting down to the fine details where with or without Bryce will work but it's at what pace you want to travel and what your gut tells you. Personally I would choose Bryce over a Hoover Dam tour if I had to choose, but again it's all about personal choice.
    Idk why it's not giving me the option, weird. Such hard decisions, kinda want to see it all in case I never go again but also hate to be super rushed. I do need to figure it out soon so I can start booking lodging at the popular spots.

7. Default

I didn’t realize how young your children are.

The 4 year old will not remember this vacation; the 7 year old, barely. Both would probably be happy with a local park. I speak from experience with my family and all the money we wasted at WDW which nobody remembered a couple years later.

That being said, I very highly recommend that you focus on Bryce and Arches. I’d also maybe throw Goblin Valley State Park into the mix. That’s where part of the sci fi comedy Galaxy Quest was filmed. Perhaps your 7 year old saw it.

Default Geared for an amazing adventure !!

We all have our favourites and this area is outstanding so we could just keep making alternative suggestions. However, I think you have the basics for an amazing trip which includes my personal favourite, Yosemite and I think you should stick to the things you were first attracted to. Trust me, once you have visited once you will make it one of your lifes goals to go back again. (and again!)

Ok I'm really looking at the ET highway route but what happens if the Tioga pass is closed
    I would not book in advance for this night of the trip, or have a late cancellation option for it. If Tioga pass were to be closed you could head south around the mountains to Bakersfield from Zion and then to Visalia/Fresno area for the night. Lee Vining would still be an option but having to go around to the north could take a few hours more than it would start starting out from Visalia. Just be aware that both options would be a long day on the road, especially for the young ones. Your other option, if you prefer to have it all sorted in your mind, is to revert to driving through Death valley and staying in Lone Pine overnight which gives you the option of heading north or south but it would take much of your day to get into Yosemite valley. Other than sorting those points out, I think you have pretty much nailed it and are in for an incredible family adventure !!

(I would say the odds are in your favour with regards to Tioga pass being open and if it is, You don't want to miss it !!)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    I didnít realize how young your children are.

The 4 year old will not remember this vacation; the 7 year old, barely. Both would probably be happy with a local park. I speak from experience with my family and all the money we wasted at WDW which nobody remembered a couple years later.

That being said, I very highly recommend that you focus on Bryce and Arches. Iíd also maybe throw Goblin Valley State Park into the mix. Thatís where part of the sci fi comedy Galaxy Quest was filmed. Perhaps your 7 year old saw it.
    I hear that all the time when we go on our trips but guess what I want to travel and I'll remember it, if I wait till they remember it I might be dead 🤷 not getting any younger.