Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 61 to 66 of 66
  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Quinn View Post
    Got any fresh clues, per chance?

    Rick

    On the "Where Am I" thread we have established we were looking at Capitol Reef National Park from the back side. This Rock Art is west of the park.

    Utahtea

    Speaking of tea...did you know that Green Tea always smells fishy to me.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Whoops! Almost let this slip out of sight unanswered.

    Utahtea, you've got me stumped. I haven't found any pictographs that match your post, with or without the clues, so unless somebody else can solve it, you've beat the house on this round!

    Rick

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    On the "Where Am I" thread we have established we were looking at Capitol Reef National Park from the back side. This Rock Art is west of the park.

    Utahtea

    Speaking of tea...did you know that Green Tea always smells fishy to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Quinn View Post
    Whoops! Almost let this slip out of sight unanswered.

    Utahtea, you've got me stumped. I haven't found any pictographs that match your post, with or without the clues, so unless somebody else can solve it, you've beat the house on this round!

    Rick
    I guess I should make my hints more obvious! These pictographs and petroglyphs are known as Fish Creek Cove out of Teasdale, Utah. :)

    I've got a whole lot more that are going to be even harder to identify! Also have some easy ones...will have to dig up an easy one for next time.

    Utahtea

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    653

    Default Mush, you huskies!

    Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    I guess I should make my hints more obvious!

    I've got a whole lot more that are going to be even harder to identify! Also have some easy ones...will have to dig up an easy one for next time.

    Utahtea
    It's more likely that my search was flawed, rather than your clues. I was fascinated by this panel of yours; I mean, it looks like a line of cattle being herded by a guy holding a lasso!



    What year was this panel created? Is this a depiction of cattle rustling? Who knows?! In my preliminary search (on Google, of course) I couldn't come up with any image that matched yours; not even close. I usually have much better luck with image searches; could be that I just didn't know what to call those pictographs, because once I added the location that you so kindly handed to me, I found dozens of references, and a ton of photos that were just like yours. I did a quick skim of my search results, and I thought it was interesting that the focus of the top-of-the-crop articles on the Fish Creek Cove Petroglyphs (mostly blog posts) was almost always on the hike, and on the setting. None of them delved too deeply into the origins, or the symbology. I reckon that if I really want to know, I'll have to dig out my virtual shovel!

    Meanwhile: feel free to put up more of the tough ones! We love a challenge!

    Rick

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Quinn View Post
    It's more likely that my search was flawed, rather than your clues. I was fascinated by this panel of yours; I mean, it looks like a line of cattle being herded by a guy holding a lasso!



    What year was this panel created? Is this a depiction of cattle rustling? Who knows?! In my preliminary search (on Google, of course) I couldn't come up with any image that matched yours; not even close. I usually have much better luck with image searches; could be that I just didn't know what to call those pictographs, because once I added the location that you so kindly handed to me, I found dozens of references, and a ton of photos that were just like yours. I did a quick skim of my search results, and I thought it was interesting that the focus of the top-of-the-crop articles on the Fish Creek Cove Petroglyphs (mostly blog posts) was almost always on the hike, and on the setting. None of them delved too deeply into the origins, or the symbology. I reckon that if I really want to know, I'll have to dig out my virtual shovel!

    Meanwhile: feel free to put up more of the tough ones! We love a challenge!

    Rick
    There is NOT a lot of info on these pictographs and petroglyphs! Most places list this as a hike. I believe that hike is the mile you need high clearance vehicle because it's just a short distance from where we've parked the two times we've been. The first time we also did the Fish Creek Falls hike. Not to bad of a hike if it's not to hot but the the guide we used, the distance was WAY off...a lot longer than mentioned. You can't get close to the falls unless you want to get wet in the stream and scramble and we weren't prepared to do that. Otherwise you get just a small glimpse of a little waterfall.

    What you really can't tell until you see people in the pictures is how BIG they really are!





    I've got a couple busy days ahead of me, so I don't want to post something and leave you all hanging, so it might be a couple of days and then I'll post some more. If anyone wants to challenge me, please feel free to do so!



    Utahtea

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    653

    Default

    One word: Wow!

Similar Threads

  1. How do you re-name a link in a post?:
    By RoadTrippers A & R in forum Questions & Comments about using this Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 01:02 PM
  2. The Art of the Blitz Drive
    By PNW Judy in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 10:48 AM
  3. A Road By Any Other Name...
    By RoadTripper Brad in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

  • MORE TO EXPLORE