Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 255
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    600

    Default There's an app for that

    Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post




    Utahtea

    P.S. Sorry for the smug on the pictures it was the camera lens. GRRRRR!


    Most of the better digital cameras are DSLR's or Mirror-less models with interchangeable lenses. Is that what you're using? You can't beat the versatility of that arrangement, because with the right combination of lenses, you can handle just about anything (photographically speaking). The only problem: every time you swap the lens, you're exposing the inside of the camera, most especially the extremely delicate sensor that records your images, to our dusty world. If you're outdoors, no matter how careful you try to be, good odds you'll get a speck or a particle of some dang thing or another in exactly the wrong place on that sensor, casting a tiny shadow that's amplified into a smudge on your image, and every picture you take from that point forward will have that same smudge, in that same spot, until you can have your sensor cleaned. That's not a huge big deal; any good camera shop can handle it for you, and with a bottle of special sensor cleaning solution, a special one-time-use swab, good light, good eyesight, a steady hand, and nerves of steel you can even do it yourself. Been there, done that! But what about all the pictures you took that have that smudge embedded in the upper left corner (or wherever)? Well, with just about any decent photo editing software, all it takes is reasonably good eyesight, a steady hand, a single click, and voila!



    All better.

    As for the "where were you?" issue, I'm honestly not sure. I've never been an avid hiker (personally). I see what looks like a cliff dwelling in your photo, so it's somewhere in the four corners. Beyond that, I (personally) will be needing another clue!

    Rick

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Quinn View Post
    Most of the better digital cameras are DSLR's or Mirror-less models with interchangeable lenses. Is that what you're using? You can't beat the versatility of that arrangement, because with the right combination of lenses, you can handle just about anything (photographically speaking). The only problem: every time you swap the lens, you're exposing the inside of the camera, most especially the extremely delicate sensor that records your images, to our dusty world. If you're outdoors, no matter how careful you try to be, good odds you'll get a speck or a particle of some dang thing or another in exactly the wrong place on that sensor, casting a tiny shadow that's amplified into a smudge on your image, and every picture you take from that point forward will have that same smudge, in that same spot, until you can have your sensor cleaned. That's not a huge big deal; any good camera shop can handle it for you, and with a bottle of special sensor cleaning solution, a special one-time-use swab, good light, good eyesight, a steady hand, and nerves of steel you can even do it yourself. Been there, done that! But what about all the pictures you took that have that smudge embedded in the upper left corner (or wherever)? Well, with just about any decent photo editing software, all it takes is reasonably good eyesight, a steady hand, a single click, and voila!



    All better.

    As for the "where were you?" issue, I'm honestly not sure. I've never been an avid hiker (personally). I see what looks like a cliff dwelling in your photo, so it's somewhere in the four corners. Beyond that, I (personally) will be needing another clue!

    Rick
    Rick, Love what you did to my picture! What software do you use? I miss spoke, it wasn't the lens but camera with the issue. These pictures were from 2011 and our old Canon camera. We did have it cleaned and the spots were removed and then we gave it to our son who had been wanting a Digital SLR and we bought ourselves a new one. We did have two lenses that we would trade back and forth and we knew that was what caused our problem. We thought we'd try a 16 to 300 lens for the new camera knowing the quality at both ends wouldn't be as good, but I'm just an amateur and it does a decent job overall.

    How can I say this delicately, yes it's in a four corner state and that is not a cliff dwelling.

    I don't really have any clues except a picture that will give it all away! This is what is right around that corner!





    We did the 3 mile round trip to this arch again last fall but there were so many people you couldn't get a picture without someone in it so I'm again using a 2011 picture. Another reason to use the 2011 pictures is this is an evening shot just before sunset which is my favorite time to do the hike. Last fall we were with friends who like to hike early and at that time of the day the sun is behind the arch so not the best photo taking.

    Where am I?

    Bonus points for the name of the mountains in the clouds.

    Utahtea

  3. #93
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,475

    Default

    You were on one of the hikes in Arches. I want to say, the La Sal mountains? As for what trail, I have no idea. When I first looked at the photo, I thought, "Angels Landing?" in Zion. But no, the terrain looked different. That last picture is the famous arch, Delicate Arch. Were you hiking out to it?


    Donna

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Okay, then: Delicate Arch, in Arches National Park, with the candlestick; and the mountains would have to be the La Sal range.

    Here's one for you (or for anyone else who would care to chime in):

    Where are these two old duffs sitting?


    The trees are cottonwoods in their autumn finery. There aren't more than a handful of places that this could be!

    More clues on request

    Rick

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    You were on one of the hikes in Arches. I want to say, the La Sal mountains? As for what trail, I have no idea. When I first looked at the photo, I thought, "Angels Landing?" in Zion. But no, the terrain looked different. That last picture is the famous arch, Delicate Arch. Were you hiking out to it?


    Donna
    Yes, it's the Delicate Arch hike in Arches National Park, Utah. We've done the hike many times over the years and the last several I've been brave enough to go out and get under the arch!

    I've never done Angels Landing so you won't see those pictures from me! ;)

    Utahtea

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    600

    Default Okay, so what's behind Door Number Four?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Quinn View Post
    Here's one for you (or for anyone else who would care to chime in):

    Where are these two old duffs sitting?


    The trees are cottonwoods in their autumn finery. There aren't more than a handful of places that this could be!

    More clues on request

    Rick
    In the interest of fairness, here's a second photo from the same place:



    There are even fewer possibilities in this case!

  7. #97
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,475

    Default

    Looks like one of the ruins in Wupatki National Monument.



    Donna

  8. #98

    Default

    The door ways path scene could have been Aztec Ruins National Monument, but unlikely the cottonwoods pic.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    600

    Default No relation to the Aztecs in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by landmariner View Post
    The door ways path scene could have been Aztec Ruins National Monument, but unlikely the cottonwoods pic.
    Landmariner, you are correct: this is Aztec Ruins National Monument, just outside of Farmington, New Mexico. And never say never on those cottonwoods! If you're there at the right time of year, late October, or thereabouts the cottonwoods add quite a lot to the experience!







    Aztec Ruins dates to about 1100 AD, and was built by the Anazazi, or, more correctly, the Ancestral Pueblo People. The largest building here had as many as 400 rooms when it was in use. This next picture, below, shows the remains of a Kiva, a round building sunk partway beneath the ground. This is a traditional ceremonial space, and it's a common feature of Ancestral Pueblo sites.


    Back in the 1930'S, the archaeologists who were excavating the site took an unusual step and reconstructed the Great Kiva at Aztec Ruins, creating a silent, circular room, 40 feet in diameter, lit by soft beams of sunlight slanting down through small rectangular windows that ring the building at ground level. The Great Kiva, as it stands today, has the air and solemnity of an empty cathedral; when you enter this space, your natural inclination will be to speak in hushed tones--or not at all...


    (Portions of the above description were lifted from Arizona and New Mexico: 25 Scenic Side Trips. Aztec Ruins, as well as the Bisti Badlands, feature prominently in Scenic Side Trip #17

    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Quinn; 05-11-2020 at 10:41 AM.

  10. #100

    Default

    I was there during late-September 2019, a great stop-off on a scenic routing from Santa Fe to Mesa Verde NP. The leaves were still green!
    IMG_20190926_140.jpg
    IMG_20190926_141.jpg
    P.S. Photos added as mini versions. How do I load regular size?
    Last edited by landmariner; 05-11-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added pics

Similar Threads

  1. Where Am I -- Volume III
    By Rick Quinn in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-07-2020, 11:30 AM
  2. Where Am I -- Volume II
    By Rick Quinn in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-23-2020, 05:07 PM
  3. Toronto to NYC - Where to stop / Where to stay ?
    By Wilder in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM
  4. Where oh where to cleanse myself?
    By imported_Chuck in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2002, 05:09 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

  • MORE TO EXPLORE