Default Article: City Lights Bookstore - San Francisco, California

Default City Lights are growing dim

Book stores, especially independent book stores are incredibly important. In this age when even the once heavyweight chains like Borders Books and B. Dalton have been swept away by the rising tide of the internet, the simple act of browsing the shelves in a well stocked book store, the delight of unexpected finds, it's a cherished experience that's getting harder and harder to come by. City Lights has been a ground-breaking presence on the San Francisco scene for almost as long as I've been alive. When I was a teenager, I thought Jack Kerouac's On the Road was the greatest book ever written, so I'll never forget my first visit to that crowded little book shop. It was almost like visiting a shrine. Unfortunately, that was then, and this is now. Here's a sad update on City Lights, as of yesterday:

"A legendary San Francisco bookstore that gave voice to the Beat Generation may be forced to close its doors permanently as California's sweeping coronavirus response takes its toll on small businesses."

You can read the whole article at this link:

Iconic San Francisco bookstore closed by coronavirus may never reopen

Rick