1. Default Upcoming road trip Atlanta to San Francisco

We need an inventive interesting trip. We have previously driven Route 66 in an RV. Our current trip will be 30 days 15 April to 16 May and we'd like to include Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and Laughlin, but the Atlanta to that area is posing a quandary as to interesting sites\weather etc.again its an RV trip.

Default Out of the Way?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With 30 days at your disposal, hardly anything between the Appalachians and Rockies is out of your way. So as a first suggestion, I'd say go back and look at a map of the U.S. without assuming that anything in the middle of the country is out of reach. At a first glance, some areas you might want to look at are the Ozarks, the middle Mississippi (Land Between the Lakes, St. Louis, Hannibal), southwestern South Dakota (Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, etc.), northern Utah (Great Salt Lake, Dinosaur National Monument), and so on and so forth. You may have visited some of those sites before, but the point is that were you to go to every place I just listed, rather than drive by the shortest possible route to San Francisco, you'd only add about 600 miles, or a day and a half, to your overall driving. Having visited all 50 states, and being constantly on the lookout for new places to visit myself, I wouldn't mind such 'additional' driving if I had the time for it. You do.

AZBuck

Is this a 30 day one way trip, or a 30 day round trip? If round trip, how many days are you planning in staying in SF?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sue4cruise View Post
    We need an inventive interesting trip. We have previously driven Route 66 in an RV. Our current trip will be 30 days 15 April to 16 May and we'd like to include Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and Laughlin, but the Atlanta to that area is posing a quandary as to interesting sites\weather etc.again its an RV trip.
    If this is round trip then I'd recommend staying south for your drive east since it's in April to hopefully avoid any snowy conditions. Maybe I -10 or I-20. I'm not that familiar with the east as much as I am the west. Carlsbad Caverns would be a great stop. Then head north on Interstate 17 with a potential stop in Sedona, AZ and Montezuma's Castle National Monument, AZ to start your loop with your required stops. Only the South Rim of the Grand Canyon will be open during your time frame. Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon National Recreational area would be a great addition since you will drive right by it from the Grand Canyon. I'd do Bryce and then Zion. Depending on the size of your RV you will either have to pay the tunnel fee to get into the park on Hwy 9 or go up past Panquitch on Hwy 89 and take Hwy 20 across to Interstate 15 and then down to Zion. Laughlin will be a little out of your way to get to San Francisco.

Heading home I'd recommend taking Hwy 50 though Nevada and then picking up Interstate 70 to head home. I-70 in Utah and Colorado is a beautiful drive and so much to see and do on the way. Not far off the road is Capitol Reef National Park, UT, Colorado National Monument, CO and the beautiful mountain areas of Colorado.

IF you want to stay in the national parks I would check ASAP to see if there are any sites open for your rig.

The length of our rig is now to long for Mather campground in the Grand Canyon. I'm not sure what the length requirements are for the Trailer Village with hook ups in the park but those book up early. There is an OK private campground in the town of Tusayan, AZ which is right near the entrance of the park. Location is the only reason I'd recommend it.

We usually stay at Ruby's Inn RV right outside the park when we go to Bryce because the campsites either book up early or aren't level and we're getting spoiled with full hook ups.

Watchman campground in Zion the reservations book up really fast 6 months in advance! If you know you're dates you can check to see if they have sites available. Watchman has electrical sites only. There is water and dump station. South Campground which is dry camping in Zion has opened up to reservations but you can only book those 14 days in advance.

We RV in Arizona, Utah, Nevada and California all the time so if you need more informations on campgrounds let me know. Knowing the size of your rig will help.

Utahtea

Hi! Welcome to RTA! Sounds like you have the potential for an amazing trip!

To get reservations at or near the national parks, we have a camping forum post with lots of links to the national park campgrounds, and the national forests that are nearby.

We've used Grand Canyon Trailer Village, which was built many years ago when trailers and rigs were smaller. Like utahtea, I don't know the length limit, but in my travel journal from years ago, I annotated that it was "like a parking lot for RV's, with EW hookups." (If they had sewer hookups, we didn't pay attention, as we were in a tent trailer -- popup -- at the time. EW was all we needed.) Showers were all in a central building.

Update: Just checked. The limit is 50' at GCTV. Full hookups.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 02-13-2020 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added info