1. Default 30 day RV road trip from NC

Been reading the site for some time but new to posting..

We are taking a 30 day summer road trip in our 40í Class A towing a Jeep. Leaving NC and plan to head west.

Places on our list include Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce, Moab (I need my 4x4 off road fix).

We are leaving mid June and plan to come back in mid July. Initial thoughts are to head north to Chicago and watch the Red Sox play the Cubbies in Chicago.

We like adventure and hiking, and parks, etc but our trip isnít necessarily focused around just that. We also like museums, plays, and historic attractions. Iíll be traveling with my wife and twin girls of 9 (turning 10 on the trip!) and our 1 year old lab.

We are open to suggestions as far as things to do out that way and around those parks and along the route. We are researching more and have purchased a few books but like to reach out for additional thoughts and ideas.

Iím still building the route and havenít made any specific reservations as of yet but know it needs to be done ASAP.

Thanks all!

Default Room to Spare - and Some Things to Put There

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Very roughly, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,500 miles worth of driving to complete your circuit, depending upon where, exactly, you're starting from in North Carolina. That translates into (again roughly) ten days of solid driving. So over a month, you'd need to spend about a third of your waking hours in drive mode. That's a realistic mix, but I wouldn't be looking to add aw hole lot of miles, but rather - as you ask for - seeing more that's "around those parks and along the route." So that's all I'm going to give you to start, just a whole host of options that aren't too far off your basic route at all.

New River Gorge
    National Museum of the U. S. Air Force
    Wisconsin Dells
    The Corn Palace

All in the Rapid City SD area:
    Wall Drug
    Badlands National Park (NP)
    Mount Rushmore
    The Crazy Horse Memorial
    Wind Cave NP
    Jewel Cave National Monument (NM)
    Devils Tower NM

Great Salt Lake

All in the Flagstaff AZ area:
    Museum of Northern Arizona
    Sunset Crater NM
    Wupatki NM
    Walnut Canyon NM

Petrified Forest NP
    Hot Springs NP
    Crater of Diamonds State Park

Those are just a few of the many possibilities along your general route. You'll find more about campsites HERE and HERE, and just one final recommendation: Your daughters are just the right age to take part in the Junior Ranger Program. These are age and park specific activities for kids to carry out at most national parks and monuments. It's a great way for them to learn more about the parks they visit and earn some nice souvenirs (badges, pins, and certificates). I assume you have some sort of annual pass

AZBuck

Default Family fun !

Wow. What a fantastic family adventure! While in Southern Utah I would recommend adding Zion, Capital Reef and Canyonlands NP's to the mix to include a drive along UT scenic 12 and UT24. Between the Tetons and Utah you could visit Flaming gorge Res and Dinosaur NM and depending on how you route it out, Colorado has a lot to offer. At this time we are just throwing out suggestions, but as you continue to research and get your trip takes on shape we will be able to offer more meaningful advice and answer any questions you have. Planning is a fun part of the adventure so get the twins involved in planning, it will be educational and they will get much more out of the trip if they have some some input into it. I understand you may want to remain somewhat flexible but the National park campgrounds can get booked up early with limited spaces for big rigs so for me at least, getting them booked would be a priority.

4. Default

ZION! You didn’t mention Zion!

Do The Narrows Walk!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZQQ52fOOs

Your kids are also at a great age for Geocaching. Millions of geocaches are hidden around the world including The West and many of the State Parks. You can use a cell phone app but you’ll need a handheld GPS when you’re out of cellphone range.

Since you're in an RV, you may also be in need of our lists of public campgrounds all over the US. As mentioned above, you'll have to get your reservations for camping in national parks FIRST, as they go quickly. Some of the national parks have RV parks with some hookups and a dump station, others do not.

Take heed as to where you will be for 4th of July. It will impact your overnights by requiring reservations if you are anywhere near a touristy area, or enroute.

Donna

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    As mentioned above, you'll have to get your reservations for camping in national parks FIRST, as they go quickly.

Take heed as to where you will be for 4th of July. It will impact your overnights by requiring reservations if you are anywhere near a touristy area, or enroute.
    Donna
    For sure! Finding holiday camping near Zion will be a nightmare. You really don’t want to drive an hour or more in a vain attempt to find a spot. I talk from experience! We got lucky and finally overnighted at a gas station that would have us. Not fun.

7. Default

All good info.

Yes, Zion is on our list but I failed to mention it.

I’m hoping to have a rough itinerary later this week so I can start booking camping spots. Worst case, I could boondock if needed for up to about a week before needing to dump tanks with 4 of us onboard. But, that’s a plan C or D. :)

Default Moab

Quote Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
    All good info.

Yes, Zion is on our list but I failed to mention it.

Iím hoping to have a rough itinerary later this week so I can start booking camping spots. Worst case, I could boondock if needed for up to about a week before needing to dump tanks with 4 of us onboard. But, thatís a plan C or D. :)
    Sandflatts Recreation area which is managed by The Bureau of Land Management was an awesome place to camp and off road. I believe it is very cheap to camp there. I am a Senior and stayed there for free with my National Park pass. No water or electricity but had clean concrete Pitt toilets. There may be water and sewage disposal at the entrance, I canít remember. No reservations, first come served.
    The scenery was awesome and the entrance is five minutes to downtown Moab which is a very nice tiwn

Here is our link to Camping In/Near US National Parks.

Here is the direct route to the links for the Utah parks.