1. Default Seattle To Suffield (BDL) CT

I bought a car in Seattle and my wife is flying on on the 7th to go pick it up and drive home. She needs to be home by the 18th so she can take her time but rather than picking random even stops along the way I was also looking to get some info on good plces to stop and or stay -along the route. Assuming she will take the northern route (WA->ID->N/SD->MN->WI->IL->IN/MI->OH->PA->NY->MA->CT). So either 90 the whole way to go thru SD or 90->94->90 to go thru ND. There are options of going southern route thru CO or just thru IA instead of MN/WI but I have no idea pros and cons of any route.

To start, are there any recommendations as to places to stop along any of these routes?

My plan was for 10 days of driving as she would stay in Seattle Thursday night so only 300mi a day. However I think she wants to more play it by ear depending how she feels/how far she feel like driving each day as 300mi is like 4 hours a day and she may feel like driving farther on a given day.

Any help on where to stop, places to see, places to stay would be much appreciated.

TIA.

Default Yes and No

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When planning a big cross-country RoadTrip such as this, especially when I have the time to do it at a relatively leisurely and enjoyable pace, one of the first things I like to do is look for areas I'd like to visit at some depth and areas I'd like to avoid at all costs and then build the trip around those. It's then relatively easy to find smaller sites worth visiting on the way.

In your wife's case, if I were doing this trip, I'd aim to definitely include southwestern South Dakota and definitely exclude I-80/I-90 between Chicago and Cleveland. There are a plethora of great sites around Rapid City such as Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Badlands NP. Then, of course, the Interstates between Chicago and Cleveland are traffic/truck clogged toll roads (Tri-State Tollway, Indiana Toll Road, Ohio Turnpike), and then on to the New York State Thruway).

So just with those two criteria, what would a workable route look like? Well the first part is simple, I-90 to Sioux Falls SD then south on I-29 to north of Omaha, I-80 through the Quad Cities to LaSalle IL and then I-39 south to El Paso IL. So 'just' 90/29/80/39. At this point she would have the chance to get off the superslabs and travel some of the heartland on 'surface' roads, specifically, US-24 to Fort Wayne IN and then US-30 to Mansfield OH where she'd get back to the Interstate system: I-71/I-76/I-80/I-81/I-84 through Scranton and on to the Hartford area. Such a routing adds all of 45 miles to the most direct all-Interstate, essentially I-90, route while providing some better scenery, less traffic, fewer tolls, and the chance to mix up the driving from day to day.

If that basic itinerary appeals to your wife, then we can certainly offer other places to visit along it. But just to be clear, she will not be able to cover 300 miles per day in only 4 hours of driving. That assumes that she will be going 75 mph every second of every minute she's behind the wheel. It does not allow for gas/food/bathroom breaks, construction, or traffic slowdowns - all of which she will see. Still she can have days where she drives farther, say 400-500 miles, and days where she doesn't drive much at all, but just takes a day 'off' and explores an area in some depth.

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

But just to be clear, she will not be able to cover 300 miles per day in only 4 hours of driving. That assumes that she will be going 75 mph every second of every minute she's behind the wheel. It does not allow for gas/food/bathroom breaks, construction, or traffic slowdowns - all of which she will see. Still she can have days where she drives farther, say 400-500 miles, and days where she doesn't drive much at all, but just takes a day 'off' and explores an area in some depth.

AZBuck
    Thanks.
    Will look into that info.
    The 4hr per day was actual drive time based on estimated 300mi/day. I expect she will stop fairly often to stretch any make tea.

The main idea is that she should have enough days to do trip where she doesn't have to push herself.

A suggestion for a minor alteration - take I-74 out of the Quad Cities to Peoria, then pick up US-24.

FWIW, I agree with GLC's modification to the plan suggested by AZBuck. I would definitely want to avoid the Greater Chicagoland area. Personally, we didn't find the IN or OH toll roads to be all that clogged, when we were on them a few years back.

To me, 300 miles per day is about 5-6 hours, depending on the type of road being driven, and how many stops being made. Does your wife want stretch breaks or sightseeing stops?

Donna

I suggested I-74 to Peoria because it's shorter than staying on I-80 to I-39. Neither option takes you anywhere near Chicago and they both avoid a lot of tolls.

The IN and OH toll roads don't have traffic issues, they are just costly.

US-24 from Peoria to Fort Wayne is mostly rural 2 lane with some 4 lane sections and several towns, US-30 from Fort Wayne to the OH line is 4 lane with traffic lights, from the OH line to Mansfield is Interstate quality freeway.

7. Default

My wife flew into SEA last Thursday and stayed in Seattle for two nights. Started driving on the 8th with first stop in Spokane, then Butte 2/9 and Buffalo 2/10. Today she needs to get an early start to make it to Kennebec, SD. If doesn't work out will likely have to stay in Rapid City as for some reason high beams in car are not working so no more driving at night and it defeats the purpose of the trip if cannot see countryside anyways.

So after tonight is where I would have to modify the standard route with information given above. My issue is when I change the route it adds 100mi and 4hr. I am using furkot to help plan stops. When I change route it seems to show that it will take much longer. It shows same thing on googlemaps. Maybe because speed limits are so slow? Just taking 74 to 24 and joining interstate back in Toledo adds just 2hr so that may be best option. Have to figure out today so can book next hotel.

Thanks for help
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-11-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: link served no purpose

If you don't mind paying tolls, just stay on I-80 all the way across IL, IN, OH, and PA to I-81 to I-84. Try not to hit the Chicago area around rush hour.

You shouldn't need high beams on Interstates.