Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I would concur with Michael, you are rushing from place to place to try and see a lot leaving little time to actually see anything. Although can you clear something up for me. You say a day in SF on the 23rd but you don't fly out until the 27th, so do you have a day in SF or 4.5 days in SF ?? If you want to get from LA to SF same day you won't see anything of the coast highway it will have to be Interstate all the way, but if you have those days spare you could use 2 or 3 nights travelling up the coast but having said that you really need another day to visit Horseshoe bend and the Grand canyon. Only you can decide what works best for you, but I would consider going from Vegas to SF via Death valley and Yosemite NP and forget the urban jungle of LA, especially as it's only for a day of which you will spend a large part of that day sitting in traffic.
    Hi Dave, Thanks for the notes. I was just using the dates as a rough idea on the travel, so you are right we would still have a few days 'spare'. The idea was to use them as a 'oooh lets go see that!' or staying an additional night somewhere if we really like it. Just so we had a little bit of freedom.

I like the idea of Death Valley and the NP as I'm not sold on LA, but the mrs wants to go. Lets see if I can convince her :)

Bear in mind that Death Valley in August will be horribly hot -- probably in the 110's. Take a lot of water and drink it as you go. You'll probably want to forego any hikes or much more than "hop out of the air conditioned car, look, take some pictures" type stops.

Unless you have a good reason to be in the LA mess-tropolis, skip it if you can. Good reasons might be Disneyland, one of the many great museums, or visiting friends. Just passin' through??? Try to find a way around it! Unless we're going through in the wee hours of the morning, or going to Disneyland, my husband and I go around it! To me, sightseeing is for nature, not for the back-ends of other vehicles while in traffic.

Donna

Default On the other hand, Los Angeles is one of the great cities of the world.

On the other hand, Los Angeles is one of the great cities of the world. Tremendous art and natural history museums, diverse cultures and beautiful architecture. Traffic can be a bit of a chore at times, but I travel to and around LA at least once a month.

Default All good points, however....

Donna and Mark both make good points. There are signigicant and interesting things to see/do in LA, and I have enjoyed them when I was there - many years ago. On the other hand the traffic is a nightmare, and as Mark makes clear, if you drive there regularly, it probably is not much of an issue, but believe me, as a once off visit - forget it!

I'm with Dave, Death Valley (despite the heat) and Yosemite will leave you with many more memories.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-27-2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: typo

I like the idea of Death Valley and the NP as I'm not sold on LA, but the mrs wants to go. Lets see if I can convince her :)
    Start by finding some photos of Tioga pass and Tuolumne meadows, Glacier point and Yosemite Valley. Yosemite is one of the worlds great natural wonders and one of my (if not the)favourite places in the world. Death valley will be very hot but a drive through with photo stops is memorable, a landscape you won't see the like of in the UK. As far as City's go, LA is good but it's a city. Enough said. ;-)