Hybrid View

Default 2019 - 45 days - Melbourne to Port Hedland and back.

It was what I needed. 2019 did not start well for me. With the threat of legal action hanging over my head, and not knowing the implications, I was stressed to the hilt! Stressed out to the extend that every thing going around came my way. No sooner had I recovered from one bug, the next one came along. Until, more than half way through the year everything was settled with the help of some wonderful people.

Meanwhile I had seen a TV program which included news about an organisation of women who travel (by road) alone. The idea was to get a small group together whenever one wanted to travel to a location in this vast land. Some own full size motor homes, some have campervans or caravans and many carry tents. All camp and all do not have anyone with whom to share their adventures. Not all are single. Many have husbands/boyfriends/partners/etc. who do not like camping.

My first trip with them was to eastern Victoria to go see the silos. A little over 200 km from home and a campground which, although it is called a bush camp had more facilities than I have seen at many a campground. Between 12 and 20 attended over the five days, some coming or going at different times. It was a great trip and even though it is not all that far from where I grew up, there have been a lot of changes. As well, there was much I had never seen. A great success! highlighted by the fact that the campground charged just 7.50 per night. We were treated to scones with jam and cream on the first morning, and had pizza cooked for us in the onsite pizza oven - for $10 each.

On top of that we had wonderful weather with only an odd shower of rain..... which the farmers badly needed. Right on the banks of the Broken Creek, it is a place I am planning to go stay for a while when I just want to get away from it all.

My main reason for going on this short trip was to see how the idea of travelling with others worked. Wanted to see if it was for me. There was a bigger trip coming up and I planned to join some folk for that. I learned a lot, and made some adjustments to my van. Eliminating what did not work and adding what was lacking. Planned to make my 7 weeks or thereqabouts, as comfortable as possible.

And so it was just four days after getting home, that we - I had hooked up with three others - were ready to hit the road, planning on getting to Exmouth W.A. in 17 days, stopping at the main towns along the way, especially where our visit co-incided with a festival or other festivity.

Lifey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Hi Lifey.
    Looking forward to the next chapter. hope you are well.

Keith

Sorry Keith, I was hoping 2020 would be a little better than 2019. But alas, it has not been. Still I refuse to give up. The weather and the smoke have not helped. Am only too conscious of not posting more.... hope to soon.; It is at the forefront of my mind. On top of that I had car problems in Bendigo and was stuck there for days. It seems to all come at once. But I will get back to it, once I clear my slate here.

Lifey

Deal with life first, Lifey. We'll be here when Australia gets back to 'normal'. Meanwhile, all the best to you and every Aussie.

AZBuck

Default The first two days.

So it was on the 1st October I set out to meet up with three other ladies in Beaufort, approx 150 kms west of Melbourne. None of us had met before. One other lady was retired and lives in her medium size motor home full time. She pulls a small trailer which was like a garage.... with tools and things not needed everyday, as well as exra fuel. If a fuse went, she had it. If something broke, she knew and had the tools to fix it. A real gem! The other two ladies were somewhat younger and both were in full time employment. One had a Hilux with a lift up roof and professionally fitted out. The other had a brand new medium sized motor home.

And then there was I...... in my VW transporter.

We discussed the route as laid out, and the stops along the way. It was clear right from the start the different modes of travel among this small group. There was the early bird, who was on the road soon after daylight, and drove straight to the next destination. There were two of us who were more focused on the actual trip, rather than the destination, and stopped at attractions along the way, even though we differed at which to stop. And then there was the one with two small dogs, whose schedule differed again.

We decided to meet up every evening at a mutually agreed campground, roadhouse or free camping spot. We shared contacts, though coverage could not be guaranteed along the way.

My planning for the trip was far less than ideal. By the time I had reached Beaufort, there were ten items on the list of forgotten things.... including my Epirb, which I perceived to be my most important item.

On 2nd October we travelled to Keith in South Australia. By now I was suspecting that my aircon was not working. I had before departing taken the vehicle in for the aircon to be fixed. I was not happy, considering we were heading into north western West Australia, where Marble Bar is. The hottest place on the continent.

The next two days were much cooler, as we drove first to Snowtown and then onto Kimba.

Lifey

Default On to Ceduna.

Whereas the others followed the suggested route to Snowtown along the highway and through Adelaide, I chose to take a route through the Adelaide Hills, and Murray Bridge. a lovely town. I just allowed myself to wander through the hills, through small settlements. It is such a lovely area of South Australia. The Adelaide Hills in this area are covered with lush vegetation. At times I felt like I was driving under a green canopy. Unfortunately, much of this area has since also fallen victim to the fire storms.

Snowtown was my contribution to places of choice to stay, not because the accommodation was superior.... it wasn't, but because I have always been intrigued by the bodies in the barrels, in the bank vault. I followed the case closely two decades ago, and wanted to see the bank vault. After a restless night right by a railway line, we chose to get out of the place early, and never got near the bank building in this tiny town. We followed the rolling hills, which on the western side are mainly grain crops and pastures. At Port Augusta we picked up the Eyre Highway - A1, which would take us all the way west. Before we arrived at Kimba, I heard on the radio that the road out of Snowtown was closed, due to a firey crash in which a truck driver died.

At Kimba we learned that we were now half way across Ausralia. If we had started on the east coast, rather than the south coast, this may have been true, but for us it was barely 25% of the way. None-the-less, we looked around at the BIG Galah, the local gemstone store and the painted silos. The best thing about this trip so far; and why I chose to go with this group, is that the distance travelled each day amounted to only a few hours (on the highway without sightseeing), so lots of time to detour to see a given attraction, or do some shopping in the towns where we stayed.

Next was the south/central South Australian town of Ceduna - the official start of the Nullabor Highway.

We arrived on Sat afernoon, and had planned to stay for two nights. It happened to be that this was a long weekend in Ceduna for their Oyster Festival. The town was full of tourists, and of course all businesses were closed all weekend, and Monday. Now normally that would not have worried me. There were places to eat, which are always open, and lots to do and see. But.....................

and it was a BIG BUT, it was in the 40s Celsius on that Saturday, and my aircon was definitely not working. It was in the 60s in my van. I had a wet towel around my neck. Despite all that I almost collapsed when I arrived. A few hours later I was well again, and started to see what I could do about the aircon. That is when I found out that it was a long holiday weekend, Nothing would be open till Tuesday morning. It was a delimna!

Fortunately it cooled down somewhat over the next few days.

Lifey