Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There is only one time when I was almost locked out. I was driving from Death Valley to the Grand Canyon on a Saturday, and came down the hill into Las Vegas around dinnertime. I decided I didn't want to stay in Las Vegas, so I pressed on to Boulder City. Not a single room available in the whole town, something was going on that night. I made it to Kingman and got the last room at the Super 8, by now it was almost 11pm.

That happened to us, once. We were trying to get a room in Redding, CA. Tried several places before we found one. This was years ago. We also got locked out of using hotel discount coupons more than once, on a weekend.

We've been traveling with reservations on the whole route ever since. Our next trip coming up is already booked, as well.

I'd say you BETTER get reservations at the El Tovar. That place books fast.

Donna

Default Youth athletic leagues are the usual culprit

The thing you need to keep in mind in the smaller town in the western states in the summer months are the youth soccer/basketball/swim leagues. A single swim meet can use up all available motel rooms on the weekend for towns less than 30,000 residents. This has happened to me on many, many occasions in the Dakotas, Kansas, Montana and Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    The thing you need to keep in mind in the smaller town in the western states in the summer months are the youth soccer/basketball/swim leagues. A single swim meet can use up all available motel rooms on the weekend for towns less than 30,000 residents. This has happened to me on many, many occasions in the Dakotas, Kansas, Montana and Wyoming.
    I've discovered the same thing during Winter across Wyoming and Montana where the basketball leagues will grab the motel rooms during weekends so the small town teams can play each other in the relatively central larger town (Billings, Bozeman etc)

There may not be very many cars in the parking lot but that doesn't mean the hotel is empty. The teams may be somewhere else on their bus.

Default Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    I've discovered the same thing during Winter across Wyoming and Montana where the basketball leagues will grab the motel rooms during weekends so the small town teams can play each other in the relatively central larger town (Billings, Bozeman etc)

There may not be very many cars in the parking lot but that doesn't mean the hotel is empty. The teams may be somewhere else on their bus.
    Everyone, thank you so much for all your help. I am going to do abit more research on prices and I will tie myself down and book dates at the beginning of the trip and where I want a specific hotel and leave the rest more fluid. So I may end up booking Estes park area, the view at monument valley and el Tovar at the canyon. If I see good prices in between then I may also lock them in and make me stick to the itinerary until after the canyon, I’m sure there is more than enough to keep us occupied the worse that could happen is we feel we stay somewhere a night too long.
    Thanks again you’ve all been really helpful

Default It's all here.

I am going to do abit more research on prices
    You can get a good idea of whats where and competitive prices by clicking on the RTA lodging link here.

Default Driving time Moab to Bryce?

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I would agree with glc with regards to Trail ridge road. If it's open drive it on route to Glenwood Springs rather than double back. That would give you some time to explore the east side of RMNP around the Bear Lake area (lovely scenery and nice walks) before staying in Estes park for the night.

From Glenwood springs to Grand junction you can take another scenic detour and cross the Continental divide over Loveland Pass.

You may have already considered this, but in case not. From Moab you could head to Bryce canyon NP via UT24 and scenic 12 which is a fantastic drive which also takes you through Capital Reef NP. You would then head to Page and detour to Monument valley on route to the south rim, perhaps stopping overnight at the Cameron Trading post.

Between Tombstone and El Paso you could visit Chiricahua NM and/or Fort Bowie with your 'Flexi' day.
    I really like your suggestion for going from Moab and taking the scenic 12 to Bryce and then heading to page and monument valley. I googled it and it was suggesting 270 miles 5hours however I stumbled across some other posts that advised against driving Moab to Bryce without stopping overnight somewhere like Torrey and suggesting much longer driving times. Can I check what you think the driving time would be and where you would suggest staying that night?

Moab to Bryce can be driven in one day unless you make a lot of stops. Even if you don't, 5 hours is not realistic, no way can you average 55 mph on those roads. I drove it in one day several years ago, as I remember it took me about 7 hours with no significant stops except a quick trip through Capitol Reed.

If you do want to do an overnight, Torrey is probably the best option. This would allow you to spend some time exploring Capitol Reef. Moab to Torrey can be done easily in 4 hours including significant stops. Allow 4 hours from Torrey to Bryce with significant stops.

OK, there are two ways to go from Moab to Bryce. First takes you back up to I-70 on US-191, go west on the 70, then drop down to Hanksville on UT-24. Then head west to Torrey.

The other way....longer, but far prettier (IMHO) has you head down US-191 to Blanding, then head west on UT-95. You can take a short detour through Natural Bridges National Monument, then head northwest to Hanksville by crossing "Lake" Powell (it looked more like a larger river last summer) at Hite. Head west at Hanksville to Torrey.

Torrey to Bryce Canyon via UT-12 is gorgeous. I agree with the "4 hour" assessment.

We just "did up" Bryce, Capitol Reef, and Canyonlands this summer. You can read about UT-12 here. Scroll up and down from that linked post, to see more if you like.

Donna

If you take 191 south to 95 to 24 to Torrey, plan on more than 4 hours, and an overnight in Torrey would be advised.