1. Default Rocklin traveling to Baltimore in a RV. November

Hi all,
    On 5th November I am tracking to Baltimore from Rocklin (cal).
    This is my first time in America.
    My question is overnight parking for a large RV.
    And how much do they normally charge.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-31-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Hi, welcome to RTA!

Overnight parking in an RV can run anywhere from $15/night up to about $75, depending on your required services (electric/water hookups) and what type of place you choose. Resort areas tend to charge more; public entities such as state and national parks and recreation areas will charge less.

I see a bigger issue here, though. Not to be Miss Negative, but some areas are already experiencing snow and cold temperatures, enough to where you could not use the water hookups on an RV. The pipes in a rental RV are often exposed, leaving them vulnerable to weather, so the rental company "winterizes" the RV by blowing all the water out and then a substance in to protect the pipes. This means that when you rent an RV that has been winterized, you will probably be told that if you use the system, you will be paying another fee to re-winterize the vehicle when you turn it in. (About $200-300 would be normal.)

Donna

3. Default

This time of year you’re likely to find a lot of campgrounds closed. The summer vacation season is over. I would suggest that you start looking for reservations a couple hours before you plan to stop for the day. Make sure the campground has electric hookups so you can run your furnace.

If it gets late and you cannot find a campground, you could stay several hours at a rest area. There will be signs prohibiting overnight parking and a Police Officer might come knocking in the middle of the night. You’d be parking with the large Semi trucks, and not with the cars.

There are safety concerns with sleeping at some rest areas.

There are also safety concerns about running your furnace. The furnace needs electricity to run the fans. Without an electric hookup, It will drain your batteries, and sleeping with your generator running can be deadly.

Travelingman is correct; a lot of campgrounds start to close for the season, mostly those in the colder climates. If you're traveling by way of Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, and points east, then moving north, you'll be fine, though they can and do get snow in some of those areas. If you are traveling in the higher elevations, though, such as on I-40, 70 or 80, you will have issues with cold and snow. (Denver and central Kansas both got hit with snow on Monday.)

Donna

5. Default

Is it possible to explore those areas after the campgrounds close for the season or is that it?

Default Might be better to use a rental car and motels this season!

I have driven all over the USA in winter months in a RV -- it is always possible to find places to stop, even if many, if not all, of the RV campgrounds are closed for the season.

The bigger problem is that few, rental RV's are equipped and insulated to deal with freezing temperatures. So, normal maintenance issues like emptying the black and gray water tanks gets a lot more challenging and you might not have full use of the fresh water tanks.

There are way to deal with freezing temperatures -- but generally in rental RV's we recommend you head south to warmer climes.

That being said, you can certainly explore anywhere in the USA where the roads are open. But because of the extraordinary colder temperatures this early in winter -- I'd recommend getting a rental car and staying in motels!

Mark