Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One more possible shortcut - once you are on NY 17 (much of which, particularly as you go further west is now labelled as I-86), you could continue west from Binghamton (rather than go I-81 North) to I-390. Take that "north" (it ends at NY 17/I-86, so only one choice, not sure how it might be labelled) and that will intersect I-90 (Thruway) near Rochester.

Looks to be a bit shorter miles wise - may not be any faster, but you do miss a bit more of the Thruway (so a bit lower toll charges - at this point, the Thruway still does cash at the toll booths, but if you have to pay the rental company for the cashless toll, it won't really matter, as their surcharges are usually on a per day basis).

Buck, I think you are thinking of Elmsford. Elmont is on Long Island right by the Belmont race track. From there, it looks like a good route would be the Cross Island to either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone to the Cross Bronx to the GWB, as I originally suggested.

Right. My mistake. In which case taking the Cross Bronx/GWB/I-80 route is indeed preferred.

Just another reason to rely on paper maps rather than a few key strokes and auto-fill.

AZBuck

Staying on I-81 to Syracuse saves both time and mileage over taking I-86/NY-17/I-390, which BillyGR is suggesting. All it saves you is some tolls.

You may want to check with the rental agency about how much it will cost you to use their EZ-Pass. It's definitely more convenient than cash or license plate tolling.

5. Default

Thank you so much

6. Default

Saved !! This has been very helpful can’t wait to get on the toad . Thanks everyone I can’t wait to get on the road I fell like I know it all already