1. Default Philadelphia to San Francisco and back

Hi, my wife and I are looking to drive to San Francisco. We have 4 days to drive from Philadelphia to San Francisco spend 4 days in San Francisco and then 4 days to drive back to Philadelphia. I'm aware that we are going to spend most of the time driving, but we want to see as much scenery as possible. Was thinking, PA to San Francisco through Colorado on the way out, and San Francisco to PA through Wyoming on the way back. I'm aware this is ambitious, but luckily we both function very well on little sleep. Looking for thoughts and suggestions Thanks!

Default Please reconsider.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I'm glad you are already aware of the potential problems, but I feel they are worse than you may think. Doing a long day on the road is one thing, attempting it day after day brings with it fatigue. No matter how little sleep your body may need the simple fact is it doesn't function as well as it should when it's tired which is one of the main resons that death on the road is often a result of fatigue. Without any scenic detours and on the most direct Interstate route this would be a minimum 5 day drive while being on the road for 10-11 hours each day with basic stops, leaving you just 2 days in San Fran. I would recommend you fly out west and rent a car and plan to see some of the attractions in California that the days saved flying would free up or find more time. There is just no way of doing this journey in 4 days without putting yourselves and other innocent road users at risk. You don't say when this trip is taking place but that could also be a factor with regards to possible weather disruption.

Amen to the above. Flying and car rental or flying and transit ticket is the way to go.

Welcome to RTA!

It's 2870 miles from Philadelphia to San Francisco, give or take 10 miles depending on where in the Philly metro area you are starting from. To do that in 4 days, you would have to drive over 700 miles each day, which is BRUTAL, especially when you think about doing that 4 days in a row. That's easily 14 hours in the vehicle, every day for 4 days.

Please don't believe Google Maps estimated "41 hours", because that time does not include construction area slow-downs (or stops), slow downs/stops for accidents, weather issues, or even the usual pit-stops, fuel stops and food stops. When I'm planning a long distance trip for my husband and I, we just use 50 mph average -- easy math, 600 miles = 12 hours -- and go from there. We also plan where we're going to stop and make reservations, so that we make ourselves stop, even if we "think we can keep going and get in a few more miles".

The advice above was to do a fly-drive. The other advice that could be given: If you have 12 days, and still want to drive somewhere, pick something half as far. There are so many things in this country to see and do. Within 2-3 days drive, you could choose anything about 1100-1600 miles from you.

Donna

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

It's 2870 miles from Philadelphia to San Francisco, give or take 10 miles depending on where in the Philly metro area you are starting from. To do that in 4 days, you would have to drive over 700 miles each day, which is BRUTAL, especially when you think about doing that 4 days in a row. That's easily 14 hours in the vehicle, every day for 4 days.

Please don't believe Google Maps estimated "41 hours", because that time does not include construction area slow-downs (or stops), slow downs/stops for accidents, weather issues, or even the usual pit-stops, fuel stops and food stops. When I'm planning a long distance trip for my husband and I, we just use 50 mph average -- easy math, 600 miles = 12 hours -- and go from there. We also plan where we're going to stop and make reservations, so that we make ourselves stop, even if we "think we can keep going and get in a few more miles".

The advice above was to do a fly-drive. The other advice that could be given: If you have 12 days, and still want to drive somewhere, pick something half as far. There are so many things in this country to see and do. Within 2-3 days drive, you could choose anything about 1100-1600 miles from you.

Donna
    I'm well aware of the dangers of fatigue. I've ridden to Sturgis in 2 days on a motorcycle several times. It's a haul, put doable. I've been in extremely hostile situations, were 20 hour days were the norm, and being alert was essential! We currently work 3 16 hour shifts per week were being alert is essential! I appreciate every one's concern, and advice.

Was hoping to get advice in what a scenic route would be. Was thinking I-80 to to Colorado then I-70 through Colorado, Provo Utah, and swinging back up to l-80 the rest of the way. Any suggestions on a scenic route are greatly appreciated!

Leaving last week of September.

Default No

I'm sorry, but we simply can't give you advice on how to make a demonstrably dangerous endeavor 'scenic'. Period

AZBuck

7. Default

12 hours a day split between 2 drivers is dangerous? I have to disagree. But thanks for your opinion!