Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Considering a LA - Carlsbad Caverns - LA round trip in April with two young girls

Hello Guys,

It has been a few years, but I remember you were a big part in making our first US road trip a huge success.

We are (finally, after proposing during the first road trip in 2013 :-)) getting married next year, and we are considering to do our honeymoon before our actual wedding, in April 2020. We have two kids now, aged 4 and 5,5 at that point, and it would be our last chance to go "off season" before they are obliged to attend school.

My personal ambition was to visit the North West (Californa, Oregon, Washington, ...), but I quickly learned that is not the best period to make that trip.

Our ambition is to have a fun combination of nature and kids attractions. Last year we did Florida (with Orlando :-)) with the girls. Me and my wife were a bit 'underwhelmed' about Florida, but the days in the parks in Orlando with the girls were real highlights.

Therefor I was considering to fly in and out of LA, so we could visit San Diego (Sea World) and perhaps another park in LA in combination with a road trip.

We have never been more south then LA in the 3 road trips we have done so far, and this might be a good opportunity.

Do you think the chosen route of LA -> Carlsbad Caverns -> La is a good one? I would prefer to take two different routes to make it a loop.
    Our available time will be around 27 days, and I would prefer to limit driving to separate 'shorter' drives with some stops in between.

Thanks for any advice, and other suggestions on different destinations are most welcome! I have been tinkering a bit on a trip from Chicago to Orlando and include the Smokey Mountains, but it might be a bit early in the season?

Thanks!

Regards,

Dimitri

Default So many great options.

Hello and welcome back to RTA !

My personal ambition was to visit the North West (Californa, Oregon, Washington, ...), but I quickly learned that is not the best period to make that trip.
    Some mountain regions may have limited access but you could still make a great trip out of it. We did a lovely round trip from LA to Olympic NP that you can see here. With the time you have available it could be a nice relaxed affair.

Do you think the chosen route of LA -> Carlsbad Caverns -> La is a good one? I would prefer to take two different routes to make it a loop.
    That could also make a lovely trip. With the time you have I would suggest you consider going as far as Big Bend NP as we did in this trip report.

There are just so many great options out there to explore, especially with the time you have available so I would suggest you search the forums for more information as well as the many road trip planning links at the top and bottom of each page. Once you find your own personal 'must visit' place(s) it will help you decide what trip works for you. Once you have decided where you are headed we can help fill in the blanks and answer any specific questions you may have.

Enjoy the planning, it's a fun part of the adventure !

LA has a number of great parks that the kids would enjoy. Among them, the ORIGINAL Disneyland (which is different than the Orlando park, smaller), Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios Hollywood, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.

San Diego has Sea World, but we also have a world-class Zoo and its sister park east of Escondido, San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Both are huge and have so many things to see. Though this thread about San Diego was started in 2011, most of the information is either still current or has been updated with further additions to the thread. Anything you need to know about San Diego, I'll probably be the one to respond to it ... I live in San Diego County.

I happen to agree with Dave, though; you could make a great trip with the Northwest or the Carlsbad Caverns idea. Your kids would love the cave in NM, and there would be plenty they'd love in the Pacific NW as well.

Donna

4. Default

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Enjoy the planning, it's a fun part of the adventure !
    I agree, it is one of my favorite things to do once the kids are off to bed, and it makes me feel like the trip already started :-).

I am going to start with finding myself a good book and read some, plan out a first draft itinerary and see if you guys have any additions or suggestions. Thanks a lot in advance.

You are making me doubt though, if I should pursue my idea to head north or not! I finally made up my mind, but now I am unsure again. On the other hand, it is not like the trip will be off the table, it will be for in few years. Then the girls will be older, we will have to go in July/August (school), so the temperature will be better (more tourists though) but we could go on some activities that might be tricky with the very young ones (f.e. kayaking around Vancouver Island).

I am going to give it one more night of pondering, but I guess we will stick with the southern route. My wife (to be) really wants to visit Texas, and a happy wife makes 85% of the trip ;-).

PS: If anyone is aware of a typical "fair", that is something we have been pursuing but never found since our very first road trip. And now with the girls, I can only imagine the smile on their faces when daddy makes a clown fall in the water or mommy shoots them a huge teddy bear :-). If there would be one or more of these events, or a website where I can look for it myself, I could try to fit it in the itinerary.

Thanks!

I did find a website that lists fairs in the Western US. It looks like country fairs in Phoenix or Tucson might be your best bet.

Fairs are often more of a late summer event in many places, since they in many cases also have some agricultural events that lend themselves to harvest season.

6. Default

Thanks!

I have a first rough draft ready, will try to work it out a bit more in detail the coming days and let you guys know :-). Thanks in advance for the help!

Fairs are often more of a late summer event in many places, since they in many cases also have some agricultural events that lend themselves to harvest season.
    San Diego County Fair, AKA the "Del Mar Fair", is one of the exceptions to that statement. It usually starts in early June and goes through the 4th of July.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    San Diego County Fair, AKA the "Del Mar Fair", is one of the exceptions to that statement. It usually starts in early June and goes through the 4th of July.
    Yes, on the link I provided, there are quite a few fairs in California in May and June. When you're talking about places that have 12 month growing seasons, it's not going to be quite the same impact. (Although on that list, August is still by far the busiest month for fairs)

I'm sure the weather is also a big reason why many of the Arizona county fairs are held in April.

9. Default

I have a question about these fairs, as I am having a hard time understanding what to expect. I have made my first draft (going to figure out a few more things before I post it), and it looks like our best bets are either Tucson, Yuma (if I take the inverse loop as I am planning now :-)) or a late fair in Santa Barbara when we are back in LA.

Anyway, in my imagination, a county fair is something with wagons and 'traveling people' who go from fair to fair and live in wagons or whatever. A bit like a circus, but different :P. But if I check these website, a fairground is actually a year round facilities with different activities?

I checked the different websites, and my feeling is that the Yuma fair looks the most fun and cosy, with a lot of attractions for the kids. That would imply I switch the loop around completely, but I dont see an issue there.

Thanks for helping me understand what we should expect from a fair so I can try to figure out if it's worth adjusting our itinerary or if we should let it pass. Looks like a cool occasion to sniff up some local culture AND have something the kids will love though...

Most County Fairs will have a traveling carnival with rides, games, and fried foods, with the circus like atmosphere you're looking for. They'll also usually have lots of exhibitions, especially with animals from young farmers, as well as flee market or other displays from local companies, artists, etc. There's also usually some kind of evening entertainment, like concerts or races or something along those lines.

The fairgrounds is just the place where it takes place. It's usually big enough event that you need a dedicated space. The rest of the year some of the buildings can be used for other events, shows, sales, etc.