1. Default SUGGESTIONS PLEASE for our 2019Road trip...Huntsville, Alabama to Poway California

Hello everyone,

We are retired , no children except our fur babies, and need suggestions for traveling in our 40 ft Motorhome to Poway California from Huntsville Alabama. We want to drive 6 hours m/L a day...Roadside attractions a plus!
    Scenic routes, Restaurants, RV parking, for big rigs, State parks with RV camping etc....Anything that will make our trip as easy as possible..

Default Tell us more.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You haven't told us much so that we can offer meaningful advice. What are your interests ? How much time do you have ? Is it a one way trip or a round trip ? There are just so many options out there we won't know where to start. Have you done some research and seen places that attract your attention ? Once you have a few dots on the map and shared more info with us we can start to help you put it together and make suggestions. You could do the trip in roughly 6 days at 6 hours per day but if you have 2 or 3 weeks you can certainly wander and look at many options.

Default Two Lists to Start With

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's start with your basic route. Since you only want to be driving about 6 hours a day, that's going to limit you to roughly 300 miles when you take into account the slower speed of your vehicle and the usual needs for food/fuel/bathroom breaks. You'll also want, as a general rule, to stick to the most direct Interstate route in order to make even that 300+/- miles possible and to take as few days as necessary. That route would be I-40 to Little Rock, I-30 to Dallas/Fort Worth, I-20 to I-10 in far western Texas, and finally switching over to I-8 west of Tucson for the final run into the San Diego area.

Which brings us to the two lists I mentioned in the title. Since you've not told us either when you'll be making this trip or what your interests are, we're flying blind a bit here. But we have put together a couple of helpful lists to give you an idea of what's available to you along the major US Interstate Highways. This one lists convenient roadside parks where you can take short breaks, while this one lists camping areas along the same routes. But beyond those useful but generic lists, please feel free to ask specific questions that relate to 'attractons' that are more your own cup of tea.

AZBuck

Be aware that when you get to San Diego County, there are no RV parks in Poway. Some websites will tell you that there is camping at Lake Poway, and that's a big NO. When it was there, it was walk-in only, about a 3/4 mile walk from the Lake Poway parking lot, and only for tents. But I don't think they've actually let people camp there in a number of years.

About the closest public campground is at Dos Picos County Park in Ramona, off CA-67 on Mussey Grade Road. That's about 11 miles from the eastern edge of Poway. City regulations don't allow overnight parking at Walmart, Target, or any other big-box store (except in emergency situations).

My husband and I went the opposite direction last summer (2018), from San Diego County to the east coast, with a major stop in Huntsville to go to the US Space and Rocket Center. We were hotel'ing it, so we took 5 days but we know we could have taken longer to go between. BTW, we loved that Space Center, especially going out to see Alan Shepard's launch site!

Donna

Donna, there's RV camping at Lake Jennings Park in Lakeside.

Yes, Lake Jennings is about 15 miles from the eastern edge of Poway. That's why I suggested Dos Picos. :-) I've actually camped at Dos Picos, and have a number of picnics out there, too. I haven't the experience with Lake Jennings, though I used to live a couple of miles from it.

Donna