1. Default NYC to Montreal and back with 13 year old daughter

I am looking to take my 13 year old daughter on a mother daughter road trip from NYC to Montreal and back to NYC over the course of 5-7 days at the end of August. Does someone have recommendations on route - where to stop, what to do?

Default As Always...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

What we would recommend that you and your daughter do is what you and your daughter like to do. But we really don't know that just yet. Anything you could tell us, even in the broadest terms, will help. Museums? Scenic drives? Homes and gardens? Science? French culture?

I will start by just reminding you that the days of just driving up to the Canadian border and being waved through by the customs officials after a cursory question or two are long over. You are now required to show proof of both identity and citizenship. A driver's license is not sufficient. If you have passports, bring them. Otherwise, I'd check with the Canadian Consul General's Office in NYC.

I can also tell you that it's a relatively straight shot up I-87/Autoroute-15 to Montréal, and you can make it in a single day's drive. But if you want to see a couple of sites along the way, you could certainly take two days on one leg (to Montréal or back to New York). Just some of the major attractions en route are West Point, Albany, and Lake Champlain. There are even a few wilderness areas.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    I will start by just reminding you that the days of just driving up to the Canadian border and being waved through by the customs officials after a cursory question or two are long over. You are now required to show proof of both identity and citizenship. A driver's license is not sufficient. If you have passports, bring them.
    Just as an FYI - there are a few states (NY being one of them) that offer an Enhanced Driver's License (not to be confused with the Real ID version), which is valid to use for travel by land (or sea) to and from Canada and Mexico.

That may not help out now (as you'd be unlikely to be able to upgrade it that quickly for a trip this month), but for future reference.

If you are unable to do the trip due to lack of proper ID, there is still certainly a lot of options of things to do in the areas you'd be covering, just stopping at the border.

Not quite the same, but still an option.

Welcome to the RTA Forum, BillyGr!

Thanks for jumping in with helpful information on your first post. Enhanced Drivers License are a great and often overlooked option that can be much cheaper than a passport, if you are someone who isn't planning to fly across a border.

Only a few states offer them. As you mentioned, New York is one of them. Vermont, Michigan, Minnesota, and Washington are the others. They're also available to Canadian residents of Ontario, Manitoba, and British Columbia.