1. Default First Road Trip in US - Toronto to San Francisco

Hello,
    I am moving to California near San Francisco along with my wife & 2 years old kid. Instead of shipping stuff & car, I have decided to do the road trip. I am driving a Gx470 with a 4*8 or 5*8 trailer & will stay in hotels. Ideally I want to cover this within 6 days, but if you suggest that it's not practical, then I've the liberty to spend more days on the road..

Recommendations

- Best road side assistance & cellphone provider ?

I've to stay near Detroit for the first night so won't be driving as much on 1st day but plan is to leave early morning by 6 on 2nd day and do atleast 10 hours.

Here is a sample road map that I intend to follow.. If I can't meet the initial deadline of 6-days then I can do small detours.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please suggest any alternatives or stops !

Hi and welcome to RTA!

You really dont want to be doing more than 500-559 miles on any one day and thats likely to be 10 hours travel time in the real world, forget about covering 650 miles in 10 hours as a computer program may suggest.

Greetings,

The travel plan is a bit ambitious, especially hauling a trailer, in particular the 600+ mile days' calculated driving hours. If the hours are from an on-line mapping program I usually add 20 percent to cover things like potty stops, gas fill-ups, meals, etc., and maybe the concessional photograph or two. Not to mention in unavoidable road construction or accident slow downs. If it is only a short distance, e.g., 200 miles, on an interstate, maybe add 10 percent for travel time.

Just a be-prepared comment: the southern Wyoming stretch can be very windy at times. Beautiful driving country, but windy.

Cell phone services can vary. I've had AT&T, Verizon and now Google (Project) Fi. Google Fi is my favorite by far. It actually uses 3 primary carriers but the biggest is T-Mobile. When the T-Mobile signal is weak or non-existent in a service area is might actually pick up Verizon as a subcontractor. Google Fi will send you a SIM card for free or you can buy a Google Fi phone when you hit the USA (Best Buy and others will carry them) or maybe you can order and have it delivered to your first USA stop.

CAA/AAA is the usual go-to road side assistance company. Not sure which you would join if you are not yet a resident of the USA so give them a holler.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi and welcome to RTA!

You really dont want to be doing more than 500-559 miles on any one day and thats likely to be 10 hours travel time in the real world, forget about covering 650 miles in 10 hours as a computer program may suggest.
    Yes i think the same too.. I think it'll be 1.5X than I wrote.. Any suggested route with 400 Miles /day..

Quote Originally Posted by landmariner View Post
    Greetings,

The travel plan is a bit ambitious, especially hauling a trailer, in particular the 600+ mile days' calculated driving hours. If the hours are from an on-line mapping program I usually add 20 percent to cover things like potty stops, gas fill-ups, meals, etc., and maybe the concessional photograph or two. Not to mention in unavoidable road construction or accident slow downs. If it is only a short distance, e.g., 200 miles, on an interstate, maybe add 10 percent for travel time.

Just a be-prepared comment: the southern Wyoming stretch can be very windy at times. Beautiful driving country, but windy.

Cell phone services can vary. I've had AT&T, Verizon and now Google (Project) Fi. Google Fi is my favorite by far. It actually uses 3 primary carriers but the biggest is T-Mobile. When the T-Mobile signal is weak or non-existent in a service area is might actually pick up Verizon as a subcontractor. Google Fi will send you a SIM card for free or you can buy a Google Fi phone when you hit the USA (Best Buy and others will carry them) or maybe you can order and have it delivered to your first USA stop.

CAA/AAA is the usual go-to road side assistance company. Not sure which you would join if you are not yet a resident of the USA so give them a holler.
    Make perfect sense. I've started to feel that it's not practical so may strip it down to 400 miles per day. so with Fi technically you get service every wheree

As others have indicated, you're on the right track, but you certainly need to rework your plans. You couldn't cover 650 miles in 10 hours if you were just traveling with adults in a car. If you can cover 500 miles while towing and traveling with a small child in 10 hours, you're making good time.

Reworking your stops could look more like:
    Rochester Hills, MI.
    Davenport, IA/Moline, IL (The Quad Cities)
    Kearney, NE
    Rawlins, WY
    Elko, NV
    San Francisco.

That still gets you there in 6 days, but keeps all of your travel days in the 450-515 mile range. You could make some adjustments, but that's the ballpark of what you should be aiming for.

I was having a look as Michael posted and came up with similar to the above.
    R. Hills> Iowa>Lexington>Rawlins>Elko>SF.

7. Default

When you exit I-94 at Hall Road (M-59) watch for the Morley Chocolate Factory less than a mile on your left.

They make delicious Morley chocolates as well as fantastic Sanders chocolates. You can tour the factory for free, it is attached to the large candy store.

Oh, they also sell Sanders Ice Cream. Have a scoop or, better yet, ask for a Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puff. This ice cream confectionary is To Die For!!!

Sometimes they have big bags of factory “seconds” for a super price. I’ve been there probably 100s of times; it was a casualty of working six miles away!

BTW, hope you don’t end up on Hall Road during rush hour!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-05-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Updated link to official website

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    As others have indicated, you're on the right track, but you certainly need to rework your plans. You couldn't cover 650 miles in 10 hours if you were just traveling with adults in a car. If you can cover 500 miles while towing and traveling with a small child in 10 hours, you're making good time.

Reworking your stops could look more like:
    Rochester Hills, MI.
    Davenport, IA/Moline, IL (The Quad Cities)
    Kearney, NE
    Rawlins, WY
    Elko, NV
    San Francisco.

That still gets you there in 6 days, but keeps all of your travel days in the 450-515 mile range. You could make some adjustments, but that's the ballpark of what you should be aiming for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I was having a look as Michael posted and came up with similar to the above.
    R. Hills> Iowa>Lexington>Rawlins>Elko>SF.
    Thanks I've created a new sheet as per your suggestions. Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    When you exit I-94 at Hall Road (M-59) watch for the Morley Chocolate Factory less than a mile on your left.

They make delicious Morley chocolates as well as fantastic Sanders chocolates. You can tour the factory for free, it is attached to the large candy store.

Oh, they also sell Sanders Ice Cream. Have a scoop or, better yet, ask for a Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puff. This ice cream confectionary is To Die For!!!

Sometimes they have big bags of factory “seconds” for a super price. I’ve been there probably 100s of times; it was a casualty of working six miles away!

BTW, hope you don’t end up on Hall Road during rush hour!
    Thanks or the suggestion. Its a 10 min detour.. I'll do it before going to Rochester Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by punk View Post
    Make perfect sense. I've started to feel that it's not practical so may strip it down to 400 miles per day. so with Fi technically you get service every wheree
    Yes, Google Fi works "everywhere" to the extent that others do as well. Of course, some work better than others in specific locations. I would suggest checking coverage of ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Google Fi for the location you expect to live and work. Generally, you will find Google Fi to be the most affordable and easiest and most affordable (average $30 monthly bill) to use when traveling outside the USA as well which prompted me to make the move from Verizon (for travel in Canada, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and Europe). In Costa Rica, when WiFi would fail (often due to the infrastructure) I could hot spot using my cell reception.

10. Default

You mention that Morley’s takes you 10 minutes out of your way. But it is right on Hall Road (M-59) which is the most direct route from I-94 to Rochester Hills.

Aren’t you taking that route? If not, how else are you planning on getting to Rochester Hills?