Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's always hard to try to throw out piecemeal suggestions. Santa Fe/Albq vs. Sedona/Tombstone really would also depend upon what else you want to see and do.

You'd mentioned grand circle, which generally refers to Utah, at which point heading towards Santa Fe would probably make more sense. Also, your references to "cowboy towns" and "vast deserts" makes me think you're probably looking for settings that are more like movie sets than real life, but as such, Monument Valley might be an ideal stop. That would be much more on the way to Santa Fe.

I think you're at the point where sketching out a rough itinerary is going to be important to help you figure out what places work best, and how many places you can actually go with your fairly limited amount of time. That's especially true since it sounds like in reality, you've actually only got about 10 exploration days, once you factor in airport time and jet lag.

Default A few pointers.

It's always hard to try to throw out piecemeal suggestions. Santa Fe/Albq vs. Sedona/Tombstone really would also depend upon what else you want to see and do.
    I totally agree. You should work on 2 separate itinerary's and see what comes out on top as a whole.

If you headed north from Grand canyon you could go through Monument valley and up to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands NP's and to Grand junction via the Colorado National monument before heading south on US50/550 through the mountain towns of Ouray and Silverton on a section of road known as the 'Million dollar Highway' to Durango, through Pagosa Springs on the way to Dallas. (From Grand canyon you could head through PageAZ and head to Bryce canyon and drive specatacular UT scenic 12/UT24 towards Moab)

Heading south to Sedona will take you past Slide rock SP and some great walking trails around Sedona. Heading further south towards Tombstone you could visit Montezuma castle, Tonto Natural bridge, Roosevelt lake/dam and through Globe to Tucson which has several attractions like Mt Lemmon, Saguaro NP, the Airplane boneyard and Pima air and space museum. Tucson is touristy, but we thought a lot of fun. Watch a gunfight and have a few beers in Big Nose Kate's saloon. Heading further east you will find Chiricahua NM, Guadalupe mountains and Carlsbad caverns.

There is much more to see on either route and many different route options, so that's just a couple of examples for you to explore. Once you have worked out your own personal must see's and the general direction you are headed we can help fill in the blanks and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Good news is you can't go wrong, they are all great options.

The 2020 MLB Schedule was just released today.

Also, something I'd forgotten but is probably worth noting. The Texas Rangers (Dallas) are opening a brand new ballpark next season. That may make it a little more difficult to get tickets for those games.

4. Default

Thanks again all. Great help!
    We have considered that we should maybe not rush this trip, but take more time at each location.
    So we are considering driving LV loop - grand circle (South rim, Monument valley, Zion, Bryce, Antelope canyon) for a week. Then fly to Texas, hire another car and visit Fort Worth/Dallas, San Antonio then on to New Orleans (or route in reverse). Then finally fly home from Austin.
    Then in that 2nd week catch a baseball match (either Rangers or Astros). I see in the schedule these teams play when we are there (early April). I guess this will be very hard to get tickets?!
    Cheers

Baseball is not usually difficult to get tickets, especially in April and even moreso on weekdays. It's the nature of playing 162 games over the course of 6 months. With Texas getting a new stadium, and Houston having a very good, likely world series contending, team interest will probably be higher than usual, but it still shouldn't be too difficult.

Even worst case, you can look a reselling sites/apps like Stubhub and Seat Geek and get into a game. If the game's not sold out (and I doubt they would be) you can sometimes even find below face value deals on those sites.

If you are going to rent a car in Texas, I recommend you return it to the same city, unless you can return it elsewhere without a dropoff fee.