1. Default Road trip from Hartford CT to Scottsdale AZ

Hi,
    I am relocating from Hartford CT to Scottsdale AZ. Planning drive by car and reach in 4 days. Would like to know the best scenic route, places to stay and places to visit during my drive.

Welcome to RTA!

This is over 2500 miles, and is borderline unsafe in 4 days via fastest route, never mind scenic. You will not have time to see anything except passing by your windows at 70+ mph. Professional drivers are restricted by law to no more than 600 miles a day. You really need a portion of a 5th day to drive this safely, and the more extra time you can take, the more things you can see and the more breaks you can take.

Fastest route is I-84/I-81/I-80/I-76/I-71/I-70/I-44/I-40/I-17. A scenic "shortcut" would be get off I-40 in Holbrook, then AZ-77/AZ-377/AZ-277/AZ-260/AZ-87.

Overnight stops for a 4.5 day drive would be Akron/STL/Clinton OK/Gallup.

Default Can you allow more time ?

As mentioned above, you really haven't time for the drive itself never mind scenic routes and things to see. You may have taken drive times from Google maps as realistic given your plan, but they aren't. A computer doesn't allow for congestion and construction delays and other human 'failings', like the need to eat, rest and use the bathroom. It just assumes you can drive at the speed limit from the moment you turn the key to the moment you turn it off, it's not going to happen ! So the question is, can you spare extra time and how much ?

4. Default Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    As mentioned above, you really haven't time for the drive itself never mind scenic routes and things to see. You may have taken drive times from Google maps as realistic given your plan, but they aren't. A computer doesn't allow for congestion and construction delays and other human 'failings', like the need to eat, rest and use the bathroom. It just assumes you can drive at the speed limit from the moment you turn the key to the moment you turn it off, it's not going to happen ! So the question is, can you spare extra time and how much ?

Thanks for the reply. Travel time is not entirely fixed. I can spare 1 or 3 days depending on how much i am able to drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

This is over 2500 miles, and is borderline unsafe in 4 days via fastest route, never mind scenic. You will not have time to see anything except passing by your windows at 70+ mph. Professional drivers are restricted by law to no more than 600 miles a day. You really need a portion of a 5th day to drive this safely, and the more extra time you can take, the more things you can see and the more breaks you can take.

Fastest route is I-84/I-81/I-80/I-76/I-71/I-70/I-44/I-40/I-17. A scenic "shortcut" would be get off I-40 in Holbrook, then AZ-77/AZ-377/AZ-277/AZ-260/AZ-87.

Overnight stops for a 4.5 day drive would be Akron/STL/Clinton OK/Gallup.
    Thanks for the reply. Travel time is not entirely fixed. I can spare 1 or 3 days depending on how much i am able to drive.

Default Thousands of options.

If you have up to seven days to take this trip, then you have potentially thousands of options for scenic routes and places to see.

I would opt for I-70 through Colorado and into Utah. Probably the most scenic interstate in North America. You could take UT128 into Moab through Castle Valley and stop to visit Canyonlands and Arches NPs. Then followUS-191 and US-163 into Arizona. It will take you through some spectacular country.

However, do a little research, there are endless suggestions on this site, and lots of scenic routes marked on AAA/Rand McNally/State issued maps.

Lifey