This thread provides information about public campground found along Interstate Highways. Generally, all campgrounds are within 20 miles of the Interstate Highway unless otherwise noted. (This information was current as of April, 2019)
What I learned in creating this thread:
* Our interstate system is more extensive than I really realized.
* Our interstates follow a pretty strict guideline regarding their numbers, but it results in a lot of "split interstates" that are never going to be connected.
* There are more campgrounds close to the freeway than I thought there would be.
* Some campgrounds appear close, but the type of access road will slow down the traffic.
* Some states have a lot of state parks and national forests; others have very few.
* Some states put more into their state parks and recreation area websites than others.
* Many, many state park campgrounds are available through ReserveAmerica.
* Some national forest campgrounds can be reserved through ReserveAmerica; others are first-come, first-served.
* Quite a few state and national campgrounds have a 25' RV limit.
* Some state parks charge extra for non-resident campers. Camper beware!
* Some state parks, especially those in my state (California) can cost as much as a nice spot in a commercial park.
* There are probably many city parks with an RV area that are not listed. These are more difficult to find; inquire locally.
I hope that the information in this thread will be helpful to those who travel Interstate Highways and wish to camp out along the way.
List of the INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS reviewed in this thread
(I-70 information that used to be in this first post has been moved to the end of this thread)