1. Default Midwest ballpark road trip in August

Hi all, new to this site. So my 15-year old son and I have been doing mini-ballpark road trips for the last 3 years (3-4 parks each year, with golf, water parks, a ballpark tour and whatever else we find in between). This year we’re doing Target Field (Minneapolis), then a day off, then down to Busch & Kauffman Stadiums (St. Louis & KC). We live in NJ, so for many of these “road” trips outside of the northeast we fly out & back, with the road trip taking place in between.

My question is does anyone have ideas for how to spend the 1-1/2 days in between Minneapolis and St. Louis? We did Milwaukee and Chicago last year so we’re looking to track west on the way down toward Des Moines, Omaha or whatever else there is that’s cool to do in what looks like a big open space that we don’t know anything about! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

Welcome to RTA!

Why don't you look into taking in a minor league game? There are minor league parks in Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Omaha, and Des Moines.

Default Sweet, Scenic, and Historic

The obvious answer is to spend at least part of that portion of your RoadTrip on a themed, scenic, and historic road by driving the Great River Road. You won't have time for all of it between Minneapolis and St. Louis, but you can do quite a portion of it. I'd probably opt for that section in northern Missouri that includes Hannibal and all its Twain related sites. A little farther north is Le Claire IA, with both a bit of Buffalo Bill history as well as the home shop of the crew responsible for American Pickers. There are also several national wildlife refuges all along the river for just relaxing and communing with nature.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-24-2019 at 06:01 PM.

I know you mentioned staying west, but if waterparks are one of your things, then heading to Wisconsin Dells, the waterpark capital of the country, is something to consider if you didn't got there on your Milwaukee/Chicago leg.

I would agree with GLC and Buck, that the River Road and minor league baseball is something to consider. The ballpark in Davenport is often ranked as one of the best in milb, as its right on the river, with a bridge right over right field. There are also minor league teams in Clinton and Burlington Iowa, both are among the smallest towns in with minor league teams and they offer a different experience even compared to other minor league teams.

I forgot about those 2! Shame on me, I've been to several games in each.

6. Default

All, thank you for these responses, and I apologize for not responding to these great ideas. I think we are leaning towards two stops between Minneapolis and St. Louis - Adventureland Park just outside of DesMoines, and the Field of Dreams movie site in Dyersville IA. We have to figure out the timing, and if there's time we may hit one of these minor league parks. Thanks again for the suggestions, this is one of the highlights of our year & I want to maximize the time with my son.

Thanks,
    Andy