1. Default 10 Days road trip from Michigan to Pennsylvania

Hello guys,

First of all thanks in advance for everyone who's willing to help!

I'm looking for ideas, me and my girlfriend are planning to take 10 days road trip from AA Michigan to Slippery rock(an hour from Pittsburgh) PA.

For the last week, we've been trying to collect some ideas and information about any recommended national parks and hiking trail on / off out road.

I'm here to ask you guys for some ideas, for the greatest day hikes around the road.

We don't mind the drive if the view and the place is worth it.

Thank you all so much!

Welcome aboard RTA!

First thing that came to me was Cuyahoga Valley National Park , which has some good hiking available. It's located in Ohio and easily accessible from either the toll road or the US highways.

Then, there are many state parks in Ohio and Pennsylvania. From my experience, state parks usually have a few good hiking trails!

Donna

Default Off-Shore Islands, National Parks, and Smaller Venues

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Although the northeast in general and the Great Lakes Megalopolis in particular are not known for their scenic beauty, there are some great places to get away from it all, especially if you're willing to hoof it. The two largest/best/most well-known would be the Lake Erie Islands and Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Of course, with ten days, you can make this very relaxed drive/hike trip by simply staying off the turnpikes and away from the big cities as much as possible. Just as a 'for example' you could leave Ann Arbor on US-12 west to MI-52 south. That becomes OH-109 and passes close to Maumee State Forest. Continuing south and using US-224 east would keep you out of most metropolitan areas and take you past several smaller hiking venues such as Willard Marsh Wilderness Area.

You will have to split the aforementioned Great Lakes Megalopolis at some point, but doing so by way of Cuyahoga Valley National Park might help you ignore it. From there, look at OH-82/OH-306 to stay north of Youngstown and instead take in more natural settings such as Mosquito Lake State Park and Shenango Wildlife Area. Finally, drop southeast towards Slippery Rock using roads such as US-62 and US-19 and taking advantage of the extensive system of Pennsylvania state game lands

The above is not the only possibility by any means, but should give you a good idea of what's available to you.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thank you, Donna and AZBuck for your answers.
    Your help is much appreciated!

I'll give a look into all of your advice and will try to come with the best out of it.
    I was wondering if you have some ideas to the best waterfalls day hikes, the best edge of the cliff day hikes and stuff like that around those parks.

On top of that, I'd like to get your opinion about Allegany state park, I've heard a lot of bad and good about this park and it will be very helpful to get your thoughts about it.

Again, thank you so much for your help guys.

5. Default

People who like to hike often like to Geocache as well.

Geocaching often takes you to interesting areas of State and National Parks that you otherwise would have missed. All you need is a cell phone signal or a handheld GPS.

I have found that Geocaching can greatly add to the enjoyment of my vacations. I’ve even planned vacations around geocaches!

There are MILLIONS of geocaches hidden worldwide, and beyond. (Yes, there is one on the ISS that only a lucky few get to visit!)

Here is a link for Northern Ohio Tourism

https://northernohiotourism.com/geocaching.htm

And the Pennsylvania Department of Natural Resources

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/W...s/default.aspx