Default Leisurely road trip from sanfrancisco to east coast.

Hi, our bucket list includes visiting all of the 50 states and we are about half way. Thoughts on our next trip would be to travel across the northern states by leaving from San Francisco through Portland and Seattle and then across Montana the Dakotas and either flying home from Detroit or going all the way to the east coast .....perhaps flying back to the U.K. from Boston. Thinking of the bulk of the trip being in September. Can you advise of the optimum timescale to allow for this trip? I’m hoping 4-6 weeks would enable us to feel that we had done it justice. Thoughts?

Default That would work.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think you could create a nice leisurely trip as you describe with 4-6 weeks but there are many, many sightseeing options along the way. You should get a good map and do plenty of research and start making notes of places that interest you and how long you may want to stay there, sort of building a plan and then you can see how your trip may (or may not) fit into an itinerary that you would find leisurely enough. As you move forward with your planning we can answer any specific questions and make suggestions to help you get the best from your trip. Just searching the forums and many other road trip planning pages on this site will give you plenty of ideas.

Enjoy the planning.

Default Personal Decisions Are, Well, Personal

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoedixon
    Can you advise of the optimum timescale to allow for this trip?
    The simple fact is that if 4-6 weeks is what you have available, then 4-6 weeks is the 'optimum timescale' to allow for this trip. I will simply note that I've made a few Grand Circuits of the United States over the years. Each of them has been a complete loop returning to the same point at which they started, and each has lasted three weeks, because that's what I had available. You can read about one of them here. As you can see, your timescale is downright leisurely compared to that, and yet I still managed to see and do quite a bit. What matters more than the time you have at your disposal (assuming you have enough to make the trip safely) is how you dispose of it.

So what I'd suggest you concentrate on is what you want to accomplish on this trip. Start looking for those places that you would regret not including. Yes, you can wander a bit to include more states towards your goal of all 50. And yes, you can hit the traditional highlights of such a trip such as Yosemite, Glacier, Yellowstone and other National Parks. But you can also take the time to settle down on occasion, take a break from the road, and explore an area in depth such as southwestern South Dakota where there is a cluster of scenic and natural sites including Badlands NP, Devils Tower NM, Wind and Jewel Caves, the Crazy Horse Memorial and Mount Rushmore.

Once you know what you want to see, even in the most general sense, we can certainly help you find both places that meet those desires and scenic routes that connect them and hit as many states as possible. But to answer your immediate questions: Yes, 4-6 weeks can certainly make for a leisurely trip, since you could conceivably cross the country in one week. You can, indeed, get all the way to the east coast and, if you're making this trip in September (or a little bit later) I would strongly suggest that you do that so you can experience fall in New England if you haven't done so already.

AZBuck