Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lifeís,
    Thanks for the idea. I will check it out. Now that weíve basically got our May cruise squared away I can start focusing on this. Plus, I just found out today that the Purdue-Nevada football game has been moved to Friday, Aug 30 instead of Saturday the 31st. That opens up the entire Labor Day weekend, be that good or bad, especially when it comes to Yosemite. Now, just how much backtracking would I be doing if I ended up in either the Pasadena area or at Big Bear over that weekend after Reno if I backtracked up to Yosemite after Labor Day, say that Tuesday? Then from there weíd head to Las Vegas. I know that not perfect but itís one thought which I need to get out the maps to get serious about it as well. As I said, itíll be coming, then Iíll have more questions or sanity check requests.

Hello all. I think I may have a first attempt of an outline of my crazy trip so wanted to run it by for thoughts. This is NOT detailed but more of a sketch. Here goes ...

Wed. Aug 28 fly to Vegas
    Thurs Aug 29, drive to Reno via stopping or driving through Death Valley in the morning. This may make more sense if we stay out that direction Wed night rather than in Vegas.
    Fri. Aug 30, Reno. Purdue vs Nevada football game. Donít know the time of the game so will keep the day open and stay in the Reno area Friday night.
    Sat. Aug 31, drive down to Arcadia/Pasadena area.
    Spend Sat through at least Monday (Labor Day weekend) with family either in that area or maybe Big Bear as one has a cabin there (which Iíd love to see).
    Tue or Wed, 9/19, 9/11, head towards Yosemite via Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park.
    Spend time from then until Friday in the Yosemite area.
    Fri. 9/13 drive back to Las Vegas and spend weekend with family that lives there
    Fly home Sunday, maybe Monday.

So......am I missing anything big? Yes, I know itís backtracking but I really donít want to go to Yosemite before Labor Day and especially over Labor Day weekend. Thatís why Iím keeping it for the week after Labor Day. I know thereís a lot of details to fill in, most of which is coordinating Labor Day weekend with family, as in where will we be, so I will be rereading whatís been suggested and also will be asking more Iím sure. For now, Iím just glad I have one idea of how to pull this off and wanted to see what the gurus thought. Thanks!

If you want to get an early start into DV, you could spend the first night in Pahrump. Take Bell Vista Ave from there to CA-127 to CA-190 to DV. I'm betting the game will be at 5pm on Friday due to national TV coverage. The drive from Reno to Pasadena will take you all day Saturday, it's almost 500 miles, the majority of which is on non-freeways. Take I-580 to US-395 to CA-14 to I-5 to I-210. You will probably want to leave for Yosemite on Tuesday. Fastest way from Yosemite to LV is over Tioga Pass, CA-120 to US-6 to NV-264 to NV-266 to US-95.

Thanks glc. That’s the type of info that I want. I was thinking we should look into staying at Pahrump for that reason, an early start. Also thinking it may make sense to spend the next night in the Lake Tahoe or Carson City area as I also figured this will be a night game being a Friday now. I doubt national TV coverage as it’s non conference, beginning of season and I doubt either team will be ranked very high. Still, should be fun to see! And yes, I know Saturday will be an all day drive, and probably not a fast one given the weekend. Still, it’ll be followed by down time with family, so worth it.

If it's a late afternoon/evening game, you don't have to get as far as Tahoe or CC, you could spend the night anywhere from Bishop onwards. You wouldn't have to keep a close eye on the clock in DV.

If you do make it to Tahoe, you could spend Friday morning driving around the lake. A scenic way into Tahoe would be over Monitor and Luther passes. At Topaz, get off US-395 onto CA-89, take that to US-50. The reasonably priced hotels are in South Lake Tahoe CA. You can take US-50 or NV-431 to get back to US-395/I-580.

So US Rt 50 is in that area? Cool! I used to live right off of it in Fairfax, Va and we once took it home from Ohio through the mountains of West Virginia and another time I was on it in Colorado going over Monarch Pass. I love finding the US highways in other states from where I originally know them.

Hello, Iím back. I think I have a portion of this west coast adventure figured out so wanted to run by a little more time line planning. So here goes.....
    Sat. 8/31 we will drive from Reno to Big Bear to spend the weekend.
    Monday 9/2 sometime will follow family back to Granada Hills and spend Monday night at my nieces. I know traffic will be terrible that day.
    Tuesday, 9/3 drive over to Arcadia to visit and have lunch with family then possibly head out that afternoon towards Sequoia NP. Where to spend the night?
    Wed & Thurs, 9/4 & 9/5 explore Sequoia NP and go up to Yosemite to explore. Where to stay Wed and Thurs night?
    Fri, 9/6, leave Yosemite via Tioga Pass and head to Las Vegas.
    Weekend with family in Las Vegas.

I know thereís a lot of backtracking but this accomplishes two things, having time with family on the weekend when they arenít working and getting to Yosemite after Labor Day when hopefully it wonít be super crazy busy, just busy.

My questions are does it seem to work? It looks like itís about four hours, Iím sure more, to Sequoia from Arcadia so wonder if itís possible to do with a late start, or maybe someplace to stay short of it to make it realistic. Also, suggestions for staying in or around Yosemite. Not camping but would there still be anything in the Park? Also realistic to do Tioga Pass in the morning and still get to Vegas, or finish the day before, Thursday with that and stay out of the park Thursday night to start off for Vegas the next morning? I think this is coming together, just starting to tweak it. Any assistance is appreciated!

From the LA area to Sequoia, you will find the most lodging options in Visalia or Porterville. Between Sequoia and Yosemite, there's Fresno or Oakhurst. The closest lodging to Yosemite outside the park on the west side is in El Portal, or Lee Vining on the east side. You may be able to find lodging inside the park, but it will be expensive. Lee Vining to LV via the route I recommended in post #13 is 330 miles, about 6 hours. I think it would be pushing it to try to drive from El Portal or inside Yosemite Valley over Tioga Pass to LV in one day.

Thanks glc. I can see staying in El Portal Wednesday night then driving through Yosemite and staying in Lee Vining Thursday night. I see the frustration of looking at google maps right now as the roads donít show up due to the snow closures but I know will be there in September. This website has been helpful to see the possibilities.

If you are not going to be going through Yosemite Wednesday, I wouldn't necessarily stay in El Portal. Look at Oakhurst. This would give you a straight shot into the park on CA-41 Thursday morning.

If you want to go around and enter the park on CA-140, then El Portal would make sense. However, check out Mariposa or the Yosemite Bug in Midpines.

https://www.yosemitebug.com/