Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hello, Iím back again. Now, getting serious about fine tuning this trip. GLC had some good thoughts just above and thatís where my questions are right now. Please let me know if this makes sense and is possible. Now Iím looking at leaving Granada Hills or Arcadia (depending on which part of family we stay with) Wednesday morning, Sept 4 and head to Sequoia National Park. Is it possible to see it and then find a place for overnight then enter Yosemite on Thursday to drive through ending up in Lee Vining on Thursday night? Iím not sure of the entrance for Sequoia or which Visitor Center there makes sense. Also, what the best place to enter Yosemite on Thursday morning? That can help decide where to stay Wednesday night. I had not seen Oakhurst but is that too far? I donít have a grasp on the timing of this yet as I know it can be slow going. Any help on these two days is appreciated. Thanks.

Enter Sequoia at the south entrance on CA-198 from 3 Rivers. Leave at the north entrance on CA-180 and spend the night in Fresno or Oakhurst, enter Yosemite at the south entrance on CA-41. The Mariposa Grove is right inside the south entrance, Glacier Point is before you get to Yosemite Valley. To get to Tioga Pass, take CA-120 to Crane Flat.

Both days would require early starts to have a chance to do a little exploring and an extra day through here would be beneficial, but yes you could do it. The only option that makes sense with the time you have is as described by glc above. As you would have been through Sequoia I would skip Mariposa grove in Yosemite and drive up to Glacier point and be amazed by the view of the valley.

Thanks. That is helpful. GLC, your suggestion is following Generals Highway through Sequoia right? How long does that take? I had looked at it. It looks amazing but all the switchbacks and description made me hesitant knowing we were more limited in time than we probably should be. I also looked on the map and saw the area around General Grant Grove and King Canyon Visitors Center. Would just exploring that give enough ďtasteĒ of the area? I know itís small compared to Generals Highway and driving through but would it make more sense given our time constraint?

Default My 10 cents.

It's 'only' another 6 miles via the Generals highway but it will cost you at least an hour for the drive plus any further stops, so add another 2 to 3 hours to your day. That takes you to the Giants forest and the largest tree on the planet, the General Sherman. Would it make more sense to skip it ? Possibly. Would I skip it ? No. It's a beautiful mountain drive with twists and turns, but those are the sort of drives I love and I don't see that time as wasted on driving and more as time spent visiting the park. Others will see it differently, so it boils down to individual choice.

Hello all. Well, we are one day away from stating our western adventure. I’m now fine tuning things and saw that on gps it’s a little over five hours from Lee Vining, CA to Las Vegas. I know it will take longer than that but at the same time, are there any ghost towns, other interesting things to take a break to see on that route? We tend to be early birds and will have all day as I doubt if my BIL will be expecting us much before dinner time. Thanks again ahead of time for all your assistance!

Click here for the field report from this completed road trip adventure
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-12-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added navigation link