1. Default Planning, Las Vegas, Reno, LA (Pasadena area) over Labor Day

Hello again. This place is great. You all helped me last year and Iíve loved reading all the new posts, so Iím back again to seek some initial planning. After our road trip to Denver last year and reading here Iím coming up with a half baked idea for this coming August. My alma mater, Purdue, is playing Nevada in Reno on August 31st. I have family living in Las Vegas and the Pasadena area of LA. Iíve never been to Yosemite or parks in that part of the country so Iím going to be figuring out a trip that combines three main stops of Vegas, Reno on Aug 31 and LA. Iím anticipating a 10 day or so trip with LA and Vegas on either side of Reno. Iíve picked up maps, need to start looking at them more and have seen many threads here for that area. This would be flying into Vegas or possible Burbank or Ontario. I know I want to avoid LAX.

My main questions now are thoughts about how to fit in Yosemite, Death Valley, maybe Lake Tahoe and whatever else there is in that triangle. No interest in San Francisco or the coastal drive down on this trip. BTDT. A friend already told me thereís nothing between Vegas and Reno but I find that hard to believe. I know thatís a days drive but if we add Death Valley into that should it be more? Suggestions on what side of Reno to add Death Valley and Yosemite? My other concern is I know thatís Labor Day weekend so just how bad will Yosemite be if we do it after Saturday the 31st?

I am just at the beginnings of figuring this out so any initial ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Las Vegas to Reno is 500 miles via Death Valley. Doable in a day if you get an early start out of LV and don't hang around DV for long. Take NV-160 to Pahrump, go through town, turn left on Bell Vista Ave. Take that to CA-127, make a right, then immediate left on CA-190 into DV. Head for Lone Pine, take US-395 and I-580 to Reno. If you want to make it a 2 day evolution, spend the night in Bishop.

There are several ways to get to Lake Tahoe from Reno - US-50, NV-431, I-80 to CA-267 or CA-89.

You can get into Yosemite from either the east on US-395 (Tioga Pass) or the west on CA-120. There are multiple ways to leave Tahoe depending on which way you want to go to get to Yosemite.

From Yosemite, it's pretty easy to get to LA leaving either to the east or the south/west. From the east, US-395 all the way to I-15, or to CA-14 to I-5 - from the south, CA-41 to CA-99 to I-5.

3. Default

Thanks GLC. Youíve given me some routes to look at and a place to begin. Need to look more but other suggestions for that area to see? Iíve also heard of Carson City up there too. We are not into heavy duty hiking but love scenery and donít mind walking. From everything Iíve read here I definitely want to check out Tioga Pass. Iím looking at several days in Vegas and LA area for family visits but need to figure how much time to plan in between. Probably will stay a night at least in Reno, especially since have no idea what time the game will be and most likely wonít until late in the planning. Iím really into prelimary plans, still need to coordinate with family on both ends!

Carson City is just south of Reno on US-395. If you want to see Death Valley and Carson City, plan on 2 days from LV to Reno. I'd do that, then see Tahoe on the way from Reno to LA via Yosemite and anything else you come up with. Fly in and out of LV, it's only a half day drive from LA to LV, save on airfare and car rental costs - round trip from same city and no car dropoff fee.

On the way to Reno, you could also stop and see the Bodie ghost town - just be aware that the last 3 miles of the road in is unpaved.

A friend already told me there’s nothing between Vegas and Reno but I find that hard to believe.

Just as well you do !! It's a very pleasant drive in itself but here are a few things off the top of my head. As well as Death valley and Bodie ghost town already mentioned, you have the Alabama hills just west of Lone Pine, (Mobus Arch) just north is Manzanar historic site. Past Bishop (which has Erick Shact's bakery) you will find Mammoth mountain scenic loop and the June lake loop followed by Mono lake Tufa state reserve and Lake Tahoe. I would certainly book lodgings for Yosemite well in advance and if you can find the time, you could consider Kings canyon and Sequoia NP as well.

6. Default

SWDave, thank you. Iíd seen Squoia NP on the map so am planning to check it out. Your comment about lodging around Yosemite is a good one as thatís what worries me. Iíve heard that it gets very crowded so Iím concerned about being there Sunday and/or Monday of Labor Day weekend. Would it be better the Thursday or Friday before? This is definitely a ten day to two week trip. Still need to hear from family on both sides to see which direction we take. Along with being in the Pasadena area of LA my niece has a weekend get away cabin at Big Bear that Iíd love to see. Itís like putting together a jig saw puzzle.

I'm not sure how much of a difference going before the weekend may make, but I think you have to accept it will be busy during that period. If you can stay in the park it will save joining morning queues at the entry station and you can normally find some space to yourself. Maybe you could off set your trip a bit so Reno isn't in the middle of it and you can visit Weds/Thurs after Labor day ?