1. Default Seattle to Grand Junction moving Jan/Feb 2019

We are moving Jan or Feb 2019 with a pickup towing dump trailer and 20' u-haul towing a cargo trailer. What is the flattest - less snow routes to use.

1. taking going through Pendleton OR, to Boise ID, SLC to Grand Junction CO......

Or a longer route of

2. down to Bakersfield CA through Las Vegas and then up to Grand Junction through Utah

3. or down to Sacramento CA to Reno then over to Grand Junction
    Last edited by Suzie12; 01-09-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added a route choice

Default One and Only

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There's nothing you can do about the weather this far in advance except to assume that at least one day during your travels will see snow and plan accordingly. That basically means to plan on one more day for the drive than any sane route would nominally take.

As to sane route, that is the most direct all-Interstate route available to you. The Interstate highway system offers the flattest routes, gets the first and best attention in bad weather, and should always leave a lane for faster traffic to pass you as well as room for you to pass the occasional truck. In your case, that's I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15/I-70 through Kennewick WA, Boise ID, and Salt Lake City. At just over 1,100 miles you might be able to do this in two days if you've got a fairly powerful towing vehicle and the weather co-operates. As mentioned earlier, having a third day available and the flexibility to use it (no hard-and-fast reservations) would definitely be in order. Any other route would require the third day right off the bat and then you'd need to have a fourth day available for any adverse weather.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks, we have time with no real deadlines. I want to go this route, I guess I am just a little timid since the vehicles are towing. I noticed the highest elevation on the trip is near SLC. I am just gathering information and getting experienced suggestions.

If the weather is decent, I'd look at using US-6/US-191 to get from I-15 to I-70. I've never taken it, hopefully someone else can tell us just how good a road it is. Staying on I-15 all the way to I-70 is a lot of backtracking. Note that if you do take I-15 to I-70, there are NO services between Salina and Green River UT - 108 miles. This includes cell service, there's nothing out there.

Actual elevation is not the issue, it's how quickly it changes and how winding the road is. There's no way to get from Seattle to Grand Junction without dealing with mountains.

I would also recommend using US-6 to shortcut from I-15 to I-70.

It's been a few years since I've driven it, but it is a good quality road, 4 lanes in many spots, and shouldn't cause you any difficulty, even while towing.

Default Just for the Record...

The 1,100 mile estimate on the distance to be driven using the "all-Intertate" route I laid out did assume the use of US-6/US-191 between Provo and Green River UT. Just don't want you to think that by using that shortcut, this will be less than a grueling two-day drive.

AZBuck

Default Don't make it gruelling.

With 2 vehicles towing trailers I would highly recommend taking a minimum of 2 overnight stops with good conditions as it's going to be slower going and the daylight hours are shorter. You really have no need to book lodgings in advance so you can take advantage of any good weather and have a bit of time to sit out poor conditions.

Though you may not want to get reservations, for the reasons outlined above, you may want to check online before you leave for lodging facilities anyway. You have two long vehicles that you will have to park. While many lodging places by the interstate CAN accommodate these vehicles, the truth of the matter is that many cannot.

Last year, we moved our daughter using a 20' U-Haul truck towing a car on a real trailer. There were many motels that we looked at, online, that did not advertise truck parking. One that did, that we reserved, had only 3 spots that were obviously for longer vehicles/trucks pulling trailers.

In some ways, it's a shame to miss I-70 between Salina UT and Green River UT. The San Rafael Swell in that area is gorgeous. An alternate, if the weather along US-6 isn't going to cooperate, is to take US-50 east from Scipio, UT, over to Salina, UT, to pick up I-70 eastbound.

Donna

I have been on US-50 between Scipio and Salina - it's fine for towing, it's pretty flat and straight. Fill up in Salina, fuel, food and potty.