Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Then what kind of budget are you looking at?

I am getting the distinct impression that your goals and expectation are not really matching up with reality.

There is absolutely no way you can buy, register, insure, and repair a car for anywhere close to $1700 in the United States.

Case in point: I have a 15 year old car, worth $750 blue book. It needs about $750 worth of repairs if I were to sell it today. I am a California resident and I just got my year's registration for this old car, $150. My insurance, and I come under "old lady" insurance (rather than under age 21), is well over $500 for the car for 6 months. So there's over $2000, and frankly, I wouldn't take this car out of state.

To register and insure a vehicle in most states, you need proof of residence (not just a friend who will "loan" you his address) or a good lawyer (add $$$) willing to tread through the nitty-gritty to register the car and try to find an insurer who would even carry you -- you have your age AGAINST you, on top of being a non-resident.

Check with Fox Insurance. That was the advice given to you earlier, and I would definitely heed that advice.

Donna

I didn't recommend Fox Insurance, I recommended Fox Car Rental.

Oops. That's what I meant. Good catch, GLC!

Donna

Default Two thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannis Lohmann View Post
    More than 1700$ doesn't break my budget, but for only 2 weeks it is too much money, because I could travel a lot in South America.
    1/ South America is considerably cheaper (and poorer) than North America. Go hike and camp and have a ball. Fulfill your adventurous yearnings. Then when you have worked for some years, and saved your money, plan a well earned U.S. holiday. Not everything needs to be done before you turn 25. All the sights will still be there.

2/ From Seattle to San Diego there are a good many hostels in the coastal holiday regions. It would be quite possible to *hostel-hop* the whole way down the coast. Virtually all hostels have bulletin boards where people advertise to share their vehicle with anyone wanting a ride (sometimes to places you had not even thought of), and others advertise when they want a ride. As well as that, all hostels arrange trips to local attractions such as the National Parks and other major attractions. Who knows who you will meet along the way, and the unplanned adventures you can experience. My first two trips were all hostel-hopping. It involves being flexible, which is great when you are young.

Michael mentioned the member who has successfully bought and registed a vehicle, a 1998 Ford (8 years ago) which I drive each time I go to the U.S. to visit my grandchildren and sightseeing. The initial cost including all inspections, registration, insurance and attorney fees was a little over $12000. Each visit I still struggle to get insurance, and last year I paid $1200 for six months - of which I only used three months. Not a single visit goes by that I do not have significant repair costs. None-the-less, it is a great vehicle which I have driven for more than 100.000 miles across the U.S. and Canada, up to the Arctic Ocean.

Lifey

7. Default

Thank You for all your critical comments, they very helpful and made me overthink the journey.
    Nevertheless, my cousin and me decided to do the road trip together from early September until November.

We have a friend in Denver who helps us finding a car and where we can stay for a week.

I did a calculation, an estimation if that is makable would be great!

4000$ car
    200$x3=600$ insurance
    700$ fuel
    500$ other car costs(registration,…)

Case one: selling the car for 1000$ => 4800$ => 2400$ car expenses per person

Case two: selling the car for 4000$ => 1800$ => 900$ car expenses per person

Do you think there would be other big expenses? We would sleep at free campsites or kindly ask people if we can sleep in our vehicle at their ranch or something like that. We have thought about two rough road trip routes, I calculated with the wider one,
    calculating with a Grand caravan; 20 MPG; 15000 miles, 2,3$ per gallon.

Now going on with the total costs:

Each of us has 9000$ for one year of traveling (1 month workaway in British Columbia, 3 Months Roadtrip in the USA, 8 months central/south America)

+9000$ money each of us has
    -400$ travel insurance
    -400$ vaccinations
    -150$ British Columbia transportation
    -2400$ car expenses per person(if we sell it for 4000$=>only 900$)
    -1600$ all flights(Germany-Vancouver-Denver-South America-Germany)

=>4050$(if we sell the car better=>5550$) left for everything else(food, accommodation, attractions for 11 months)

That is 12$(16,5$) a day.

I know that that isn’t enough.
    But there should be some things mentioned:
    As I said, especially in the US we would cook on our own instead of going in restaurants.
    We would sleep at free campgrounds.
    I don’t know if in the city it is possible to park somewhere not to expensive or also sleep inside the car in the city.

What do you think is the minimum food cost per day cooking on our own?
    Is it true that we can also park and sleep inside the car on walmart parking lots?
    Can we do that on every walmart parking lot?

Because of the budget of 12$ per day for the USA and South America is too less, we could do 4 months of Workaway in south America where we don’t have to pay for food or accommodation.

Then we have 3 months USA and 4 months South America left where we have to pay food (and in South America also for accommodation).

That would be 4050$(5550$) for 215 days, so 18,8$(25,8$) per day.

Do you think that is roughly doable, especially for the Roadtrip part, because of it is a roadtrip forum?

One more question to the car: It should be not too expensive in price and gas, but it should also be reliable and have space for us to sleep inside. Having just enough space to put the seats down, put a mattress on them and put the baggage on the front seats would also be fine, if necessary.

What car would you recommend?
    We thought about a Dodge Grand caravan(20 MPG)

Now to our rough routes we thought about. As I said, we will begin in September so I'm not sure how it is with the weather.

big route: Denver-Dallas-Houston-Miami-east cost up-NYC-Toronto-Chicago-San franisco- Los Angeles-Phoenix-Las Vegas-Denver
    according to google maps 8500 miles, I calculated with 14000.

Small route would roughly be Denver-Phoenix-Las Vegas-Los Angeles-San Francisco-Jackson-Salt Lake City-Denver.
    Google maps: 3500 miles, estimated 6000 miles.

Another option would be to sell the car not in Denver and finish the trip somewhere else.

It would be great to hear about your thoughts about my plans and budget plan! I hope that wasn't too much for you guys!

As I said, knowing what car you would recommend would be great!

Having that said,
    thank you very much for your time and help!

Best wishes
    Jannis

Free campgrounds in the US don't exist in great amounts. Where they do, they're so far off the beaten track that you take the risk of damaging your vehicle to get to the BLM lands. They're usually in the western portion of the US. Count on a minimum of $10-15 for a national forest campground.

Sleeping inside the car will not give you a good night's sleep. Many WalMarts have stopped allowing this because of liability. You might find some truck stops allowing this but it will not be a quiet sleep. You'll listen to trucks rumble all night. If you pull into a neighborhood thinking you'll all sleep in the car in the street, you will have a big risk of waking to a cop's flashlight in your face and asking you to "move along, please".

You *still* have not solved the major issue of registering and insuring the car at your age. If you have a friend willing to do this for you, you put him in extreme jeopardy if you get into an accident; it's a big liability (financially and otherwise) in the USA.

Donna

I can see you are desperate to make this happen but before you move forward with your plans you will need to do some in depth research and start talking to real people who deal with car registration and insurance etc. I can't imagine any young person getting insured for $200 each never mind 19 year old non residents. Buying and registering a car as a non resident is extremely difficult, expensive and time consuming in the best of circumstance, as has been said already. If you had one major mechanical failure it could take up a large chunk of your remaining money to correct the issue, which you have correctly said is already not enough, it's nowhere close ! You won't be able to camp for $12 per day never mind eat. I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear but it's stuff you really have to sort out properly before even considering which car and routes etc. Good luck with it all I hope you can work something out.

Each of us has 9000$ for one year of traveling
    Do you think that is roughly doable, especially for the Roadtrip part, because of it is a roadtrip forum?
    I'm sorry, but I think your budget is comically small. $9000 simply is not enough money to live on for a year, especially not when more than half of your budget will likely be taken up just with the car.

For comparison sake, working a full time minimum wage job in the US (which is not at all a living wage, it's absolutely considered being in Poverty) you'd end up with $16k, which is almost twice what you've got available.

And it's not like it's even $9k that you'd be living on, by the time you take out just your transportation expenses, you've got less than half of that.

The numbers you laid out for the cost of the car aren't too far out of line, but you've still left out a good number of expenses.
    You've got $0 budgeted for car repairs. At the very least, you're going to need money for basic maintenance, but you'd be incredible lucky to take a $4k car on the trip you're talking about and not need any repairs.

Your idea that you don't need any money for rooms or camping is not at all realistic. Even if you could always find free campgrounds (they exist, but that's nearly as easy as you probably think), even if you could find walmart parking lots (no, not all of them allow overnight parking and if you do park overnight, you certainly can't be cooking there like it is a campground), and even if you could find a safe and free spot to park your car and sleep in it inside a city (generally illegal or just a really bad idea), you'd still have plenty of expenses that would otherwise be covered by camping or motel fees. For example, are you going to go 3 months without a shower? If you're not paying to camp or for a room, you'll have to pay for them somewhere. What about things as simple as drinking water or toilets - if you're sleeping in a car, you don't exactly have facilities on board like an RV.

Just your food alone, even if you never going to a restaurant, is tough to get by on $10/day/person. You're talking about a steady diet of beans and rice at that price point.

And that doesn't even get into the other difficulties of carrying out your plan - particularly getting insurance, as others have mentioned. You also need to look into the restrictions of traveling to the US without a visa (visa waiver program), as generally you're expected to be able to prove you are leaving North America within 3 months of arrival - potentially a problem if you're planning to just head to Canada at the end of those 3 months.

I doubt any of those things are things you want to hear, but it's better to think about them now than just hoping that somehow they won't be an issue.