Hi! We'd like to take a family road trip during late summer/early fall (Sept/Oct) from southwest Michigan (two hours east of Chicago) to the Great Smoky Mountains and back. We'd like to include at least a day, maybe two, in Nashville. We have 16-25 days, depending on how many vacation days we want to spend. Traveling closer to two weeks (rather than three) is likely, but we wanna enjoy the trip!
- Two parents, late 30s
- Eight kids, ages baby through 16
- We homeschool, so timing is flexible and educational things are always cool
- We have an old, hardy Sprinter van and will likely be towing a pop-up
- Have not ruled out staying in Airbnb/hotels instead
- Budget is always a concern when you have eight kids
- We love to be outdoors, hike kid-friendly trails, run free. We are not afraid to get dirty or walk a while. We're pretty good at wearing babies and toddlers.
So, what do we have to see on the way there, back, or nearby? We are willing to go farther for great sites. Would love your thoughts. Thanks!