1. Default LA-Denver-Kansas one way

Hi I am starting to plan a road trip for my family for mid- August.We will be visiting my in-laws this summer then have a family event in Denver and then want to visit my parents in Kansas before flying home to New York. We have 6 days to get from LA to Denver ( Sunday to Friday) can spend a few days in Denver and then will be continuing on to the Kansas City area. A few years ago we went on a trip to LV ,GC,Bryce and Zion so I would like to do a different route. Any springboard suggestions on routes and must sees? The second half of the trip from Denver to Kansas City I think will be pretty straight driving to get us there but would love to a suggestion of a stop along the way to break it up a bit. Thanks

Default A few ideas to start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well the Grand canyon is always worth a second visit, especially if you're passing by anyway. I would look at Monument valley and then either head up to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands NP's and then along I-70 taking in the Colorado National monument and a drive across the Continental divide over Loveland pass, or from MV head to Four corners and Mesa Verde NP before heading up the 'Million dollar Highway' through Silver ton and Ouray on US550 to Montrose and then head east on US50 past Black canyon, through Currecanti Nat rec area and over Monarch pass. You could then head towards Denver on 285 or continue towards Colorado Springs with options like Pikes Peak, Cave of the Winds and Garden of the Gods.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There's plenty more National Parks you could look at exploring throughout Utah and Colorado. Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley (Tribal Park), Mesa Verde, Million Dollar Highway, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Great Sand Dunes, and of course Rocky Mountain National Park.

That's also assuming you don't even consider revisiting the parks you visited a few years ago or say visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (if you visited the South Rim last time). There's always more to see in this part of the country.